Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Anxiety (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   Social Anxiety (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2033180)

gherkin2pickle November 28th, 2016 11:17 PM

Social Anxiety

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I'm 90% sure I have social anxiety. I go out of my way to avoid going places that make me uncomfortable, I am deathly afraid of being judged and making mistakes, I experience mild panic attacks, especially at school, I don't talk to anyone new, I hate getting attention from people, etc. It's been getting worse recently... I almost cried in AP World History after not knowing the answer to a question today. Anywho, I have a question for you all ^.^
I really want to do something about this. I want to make it better. I thought about telling my doctor about it, and seeing if I could get some medication to lessen the severity? I don't want to feel like a specimen under a microscope, however. I don't want a huge amount of questions, and I don't really want to go into the details with her (my doctor), or a therapist. Therapy is NOT an option. So, I ask everyone out there who has had experience with anti anxiety medication: What exactly did you have to go through in order to obtain it? And did it help at all? Do you have any suggestions for me other than meds to help control this? Thank you all so much <3

Amethyst Rose November 29th, 2016 09:43 PM

Re: Social Anxiety

I've never taken medication for anxiety but it can get very bad. What I can tell you is: talk to someone about how you're feeling. It could be a family member, a friend, a teacher, just find someone you trust and feel comfortable with and open up to them about your anxiety. Even if they don't have any advice from experiencing it firsthand, you will feel better.

Also, putting yourself in situations that force you to get out of your shell can be helpful. Nothing huge - things like saying hello to someone new or going out of the house even when you don't feel like it. And I can relate to being afraid of being judged and making mistakes... tbh people care less about your mistakes than you think, they're probably more concerned with not making mistakes themselves. Please don't be too hard on yourself.

benbeny November 30th, 2016 09:11 AM

Re: Social Anxiety

Quote:

Originally Posted by gherkin2pickle (Post 3460826)
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I'm 90% sure I have social anxiety. I go out of my way to avoid going places that make me uncomfortable, I am deathly afraid of being judged and making mistakes, I experience mild panic attacks, especially at school, I don't talk to anyone new, I hate getting attention from people, etc. It's been getting worse recently... I almost cried in AP World History after not knowing the answer to a question today. Anywho, I have a question for you all ^.^
I really want to do something about this. I want to make it better. I thought about telling my doctor about it, and seeing if I could get some medication to lessen the severity? I don't want to feel like a specimen under a microscope, however. I don't want a huge amount of questions, and I don't really want to go into the details with her (my doctor), or a therapist. Therapy is NOT an option. So, I ask everyone out there who has had experience with anti anxiety medication: What exactly did you have to go through in order to obtain it? And did it help at all? Do you have any suggestions for me other than meds to help control this? Thank you all so much <3

Actually, getting into psychiatric department means you'll get many questions. Doctors need to understand what really your problem is, and only through detailed questioning. My experience, I've seen doctors taking almost 2 hours just to get to know what becomes the problem. Cause psychiatry is largely about yourself, only through thorough questioning you can understand the pathology of a person. I am on psychiatric meds myself, though for different reason. PM me if you like.
EDIT
http://amdc.edu.pk/Psychosocial%20Hi...xamination.pdf
Maybe this will help you, this is what usually doctors ask, maybe with some different formats, but the outline is largely the same.