Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What are you guys doing to help with your OCD? (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146910)

LouBerry July 29th, 2012 08:51 PM

What are you guys doing to help with your OCD?

Ever since I can remember, I've had these problems. I used to blink a lot, because every time I blinked, it would have to do it a certain number of times. Then I started doing this weird thing with my nose, it's like that face you make when you smell something really bad, but I do it every few minutes. Then as I got older, I started to move. I didn't really think about it for a few months, but one night I was doing something weird to my calf muscle, and it HURT. My muscle was twitching and it felt like someone was just stretching it to the breaking point. Then a few days later, I did the same thing to my back. The sad thing is, I'm completely aware of it. I know when I'm doing it, but it's like this tension builds up and if I don't do it, something bad will happen. I'm too scared to tell my Dad, I don't think he'd believe me. So, how do you guys deal with your OCD, and how does it personally effect you?

Christheman July 29th, 2012 09:20 PM

Re: What are you guys doing to help with your OCD?

i've seen someone do the nose thing tell your dad so you can get help

LouBerry July 29th, 2012 11:08 PM

Well, I don't really think that telling my dad would help.

ColourMeScarred13 August 28th, 2012 04:11 AM

I don't have OCD but I used to do that blinking thing. I also used to have to do this routine before I went to bed, because without it I was convinced something bad was going to happen. I used to keep touching this bruise I had and it became a habit until it eventually got HUGE to the point where people were questioning me about it. I just let go of everything for one night and found that my life wouldn't change if I stopped doing all these things. Maybe get yourself to do something that forces yourself out of these habits and if this doesn't help talk through it with someone. Hope this helps a little bit! xxxxxxxx

PerpetualImperfexion September 2nd, 2012 11:29 AM

I do have some symptoms of OCD, but I've never been diagnosed. If I do have OCD it doesn't majorly affect me. A couple extra minutes on a school project cause a line doesn't look straight or running every dish or silverware I use under the faucet before I use it aren't huge deals.

Were you doing the facial expression a certain number of times? Were you around other people when you were doing it or the blinking? I know involuntary facial ticks like that are a symptom of Tourettes Syndrome, but they usually only occur when you're nervous or anxious.

As for the calf thing. I do this too, but not because I'm afraid something bad will happen. I just do it to do it. The fact that you do it because you're afraid something bad will happen does sound like OCD though.

If you feel that you need to talk someone, you should. Even if it isn't your dad, you could tell a teacher or other adult at school, maybe another trusted adult, or even a trusted friend.

Good luck.

Matt_2012 November 2nd, 2012 09:35 AM

Keeping myself busy and staying on the meds.

MediaJordan April 10th, 2013 04:51 AM

Do exposure, put of doing it that number of times and realise nothing will happen.. go to a doctor for some CBT or get some books online about exposure and response or other techniques.

Chris Daniels June 8th, 2013 05:05 AM

I have an obsession with cleanliness and organizing everything that is messed up. What I do, when I see my things get disorganized, I inhale and exhale to hold my anger in (especially my things getting disorganized because of some people), then I sit down. Same goes with the other. I always, always, always take a deep breathe and grit my teeth and clench my fists then I would calm. Back to normal again! Cleaning and organizing! :D

xXl0sth0peXx June 9th, 2013 02:55 AM

Please do not post in threads older than 2 months. :locked: