Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Monk (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10124)

thesphinx January 11th, 2007 01:40 PM

Monk

Is anyone with ocd offended by the TV show "Monk" the guy who has ocd?
just wondering.

mRojas2000 January 11th, 2007 02:07 PM

Re: Monk

Just asking: Why anyone would get offended of it?? The show's really good and it pretty much shows that people with OCD is special in their way!! I remember a chapter where for some reason he just stops being like he normally is, and he starts being a crappy investigator and stuff...
I don't have OCD, but if I had, I don't think I would be *offended* by it... actually, I would be honored that a popular show shows how OCD people really are

schrei jess January 11th, 2007 06:14 PM

I dont think the show itself would be offensive to those with OCD, but the way some people might see it after they watch the show. I hear people making fun of that one commercial where Monk is counting his peas and putting them in lines a lot, well that sort of stuff does happen and it's not really funny, it's kind of sad. The fact that they try to make his OCD humerous could be offensive but not the fact that he has it.

thesphinx January 11th, 2007 08:29 PM

Thats what i mean like are you offended by the fact that its a comedy and people laugh at all the things he does.

Activate January 12th, 2007 11:09 AM

They kinda make it funny when the goofy music comes on :P

schrei jess January 12th, 2007 03:53 PM

Well, I dont even have OCD, and Im kind of offended by how light they make his OCD seem. To people who dont know anything about, or only have limited knowledge, they may just see it as a quirk, something funny, rather than a serious disorder. Sure they sometimes show how rough it is on him, but they mostly just show him freaking out about dirty things, and him counting/touching, which people probably see as humorus.

Sapphire January 12th, 2007 04:32 PM

I can see where you are coming from Weeping Willow. It does make light of it, but I think in a way you have to approach life with a sense of humour. I mean, if we didn't and looked at everything as if it is likely to offend then we'd miss out on things.

In psychology classes I, at first, found it difficult to hear my teacher talking about the "damaged" brain when referring to an "abnormal" brain. It bothered me to such an extent that I almost approached her to ask if she could think of something else to say instead of "damaged". But when I considered it and looked at myself, it hit me that I was taking it all too seriously and just how petty I was being.

If everyone with OCD looked at Monk and took it all seriously and to heart then I could see them being outraged. But it is clear that it is not meant to offend and it possibly is, to a certain extent, raising a bit of awareness.

tomkapsalis January 24th, 2007 09:26 AM

Finding a program that isnt offensive is hard now days. I am sure people learn to live with it.
Tom

Antares March 29th, 2007 10:58 PM

i definatly dont feel offended in anyway because it gives people insight to what we go through

Link3737 April 5th, 2007 10:12 PM

i think if you dont have ocd stop replying PLZ! you have NO idea how embarassing it can be or how many ppl whisper about you behind your back or even compare you to "that one monk guy" that they saw on tv last night or w/e. I've learned to live with my ocd without meds but i still have a slip up every now and then and trust me, ppl make all sorts of jokes about it.

Antares April 8th, 2007 12:47 AM

well anyways i dont think that you should restrict people from posting on here. sry but you are NOT a mod. also i have ocd and as i have said before i have NO PROBLEM with monk. now i know that my situation is different from yours but i dont think that you should come off like that

JunkBondTrader May 15th, 2007 03:22 PM

I have OCD (although it has actually got much better over the past couple of years) and I was not offended by the show but, then again, I'm quite hard to offend and many people might have a different view of things.

But I would be offended if people were laughing at his problem. It may seem funny to people but it can be tedious and irritating when you're inclined to do things like that obsessively.

foof1 May 8th, 2008 11:02 PM

i have ocd and im not offended

thatsgranderful May 19th, 2008 06:46 PM

I'm not really offended by it, I dont really think they show it in the best way...but its a tv show so what do you expect?

On a side note...I think Scrubs dealt with OCD the best (with Dr. Casey), even though it was only for 2 episodes I think they did the best with showing how difficult it is living with OCD and yet how people can still succeed

Serenity May 19th, 2008 07:04 PM

Please don't bump old threads. Locked.