Virtual Teen Forums

Virtual Teen Forums (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/index.php)
-   Mental Illnesses (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   It's Finally Hit Me... (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102302)

sarah newman April 30th, 2011 05:48 PM

It's Finally Hit Me...

Ever since I was a child, I always count numbers in my head. Just even numbers. I make sure everything equals an even number. I look at walls, the ground, anything that has a pattern and i count, I even sometimes make it equal to my age. And my age is an odd number this year. So I dont include my age now. But when I'm an even numbered age- I include it everyday!

It's driving me crazy. I want to stop doing it, but i just can't! I hate maths- it's my worst subject! So why do I do it??

Is this OCD or something? Have I got a problem? Because it's finally driving me crazy!! Help!!

RadioGuy May 1st, 2011 04:57 AM

Re: It's Finally Hit Me...

Sorry I dont know, but it does sound OCD like. I would really go an see a physciatrist about your problems, they are trained to be able to help you and remember, you ARE NOT alone, many other people have felt the same way and now live happy lives :)

sarah newman May 1st, 2011 05:00 AM

The thing is, my parents will think im crazy and will ask questions :/

Fiction May 7th, 2011 04:14 PM

It does sound like it could be OCD. You should go and see a psychiatrist. I doubt your parents will think you're crazy, and once the psychiatrist has talked to them they shouldn't think you are. Of course they are going to ask questions, if there is something wrong with you parents generally want to know. You just have to answer honestly and hopefully they accept that it isn't your fault.

Joshh97 May 9th, 2011 12:56 PM

It sounds like OCD.
Your parents don't have to know if it can be verbally sorted, perhaps see someone at your school, college etc?
Have confidence, they deal with stuff like this on a daily basis, they will have heard worse :) If I can help PM me ^_^

sarah newman May 15th, 2011 08:42 AM

I go to my mum and they were talking about my dads OCD and so then I just suddenly came out the blue with "I have OCD" and mum and dad were like don't be silly, stop messing around :/
Thanks for the advice but I have gone years like this so I might as well go along with it...

JunkBondTrader May 16th, 2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah newman (Post 1275747)
I go to my mum and they were talking about my dads OCD and so then I just suddenly came out the blue with "I have OCD" and mum and dad were like don't be silly, stop messing around :/
Thanks for the advice but I have gone years like this so I might as well go along with it...

Good call. CBT, the usual treatment is troublesome and time consuming and, I found, quite distressing. Some antidepressants are supposed to help with OCD although I can't say I ever noticed any effect.

And what your parents said was a pretty common reaction. I got that for years until I was actually diagnosed. With the possible exception of schizophrenia, OCD is one of the most unfairly stereotyped conditions in existence since so many people seem to mix it up with OCPD. If I had a penny for every time someone said "You don't have OCD, Felix, you're so messy!" I'd be very rich indeed.

Spook May 16th, 2011 10:29 AM

I have OCD, and for me it is different (thought you'd want to hear it from the perspective of someone who has OCD). When you have OCD, it is either about neatness and organization, even or odd numbers, having things in a certain way or order, or other related things. For me it was handwashing, keeping things organized in MY way, doing certain things, and keeping my footsteps even and things like that. I was a pretty mild case, and I think it sounds like you are too, if it happens to be OCD. If your symptoms are really bothering you, you need to talk to a therapist or doctor that can perscribe you to medication. First of all, however, you need to talk to your parents. Don't worry, with the things I have been through, they shouldn't even get close to thinking you are crazy. xD Just be calm, explain it in the best way you can, and be honest. If you aren't honest, your parents can't help you in the best way they can. It is their job to keep you safe and healthy, so you need to tell them exactly what the problem is. Don't keep it in. :D I hope I helped a smidgeon. ~Animal Luverrr

EDIT: Also, it could be an important factor that your dad has OCD. His genes could have been passed on to you.

JunkBondTrader May 16th, 2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal Luverrr (Post 1276930)
I have OCD, and for me it is different (thought you'd want to hear it from the perspective of someone who has OCD). When you have OCD, it is either about neatness and organization, even or odd numbers, having things in a certain way or order, or other related things. For me it was handwashing, keeping things organized in MY way, doing certain things, and keeping my footsteps even and things like that. I was a pretty mild case, and I think it sounds like you are too, if it happens to be OCD. If your symptoms are really bothering you, you need to talk to a therapist or doctor that can perscribe you to medication. First of all, however, you need to talk to your parents. Don't worry, with the things I have been through, they shouldn't even get close to thinking you are crazy. xD Just be calm, explain it in the best way you can, and be honest. If you aren't honest, your parents can't help you in the best way they can. It is their job to keep you safe and healthy, so you need to tell them exactly what the problem is. Don't keep it in. :D I hope I helped a smidgeon. ~Animal Luverrr

EDIT: Also, it could be an important factor that your dad has OCD. His genes could have been passed on to you.

I'm no professional, but I can't say I'd reccomend SSRIs, the most common class of antidepressants used to treat OCD in any mild case. From my experiences with them, I feel that the side-effects outweigh whatever good they might do.

Still, a doctor might think differently and always trust their advice over mine.

sarah newman May 28th, 2011 05:25 PM

Thank you everyone, I'm just gonna try an talk to my mum again and see where that gets me. I think it's getting worse as now I am doing little things like organisation and keeping school work neat and I have stayed behind so much- 2 hours nearly everyday after school to keep on track and stuff and it's driving me crazy. I started crying in science because I didn't understand it- is this normal?