Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Ramblings of a 13 year-old gay kid.
Rate this Entry

Nicky's Nook

Posted September 29th, 2011 at 12:02 PM by Nicky97

Jamey Rodemeyer - you should know the name. A 14 year-old gay kid outside Buffalo who took his own life last week after all attempts to get relief failed. It's only the latest in a long list of hate crimes committed against kids with a natural curiosity and attraction that they had no control over. Committed by other kids, under the age of 18, with the blessing of school officials, many religious organizations, and countless parents who teach hatred and disrespect for human life.

I have no words, no possible understanding as to why bullies are allowed to get away with such behavior just because they are under age. Just because tormenting is an acceptable right of passage, just what kids do. And in most cases, I believe, only speaking out in support of the religious hatred and intolerance of many families and churches. Not all church organizations are so strong on the brutal hatred preached in the Bible's Old Testament, but I suspect that most faiths preach that gay kids are somehow less worthy of living, less honorable, less sacred in the eyes of our Maker.

Religion, to me, is a means of guiding one's own actions, not a rulebook for hatred or legislation to be forced onto others. It's a very personal thing, not something to force upon others. And things like this make me want to reject all religion categorically. One is judged by the company one keeps.

But you kinda expect that "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude from organized religion. It's how they maintain themselves, their followers, their coffers.

What I don't expect is the attitude of the schools. No where else are kids forced to be in harm's way without anyone providing adequate security. And I'm not talking about guns and gangs here, but something that can be just as devastating. Here in American we get a second-rate education, few provisions for anything other than the core curriculum, and less than adequate security, freedom from abuse and violence. We allow parents to teach their kids hatred and intolerance, behavior we would never allow from adults. And legally there is no way to motivate parents to be responsible for what they teach their kids.

Who is the culprit? All I can say is "adults" and I know that's way too broad but it does include all those who are at fault. They have kids, they vote on lawmakers. They constitute school boards. They either accept or reject the job school teachers and administrators are doing.

Now I'm all for personal freedom -- as long as you don't infringe on the rights and well-being of others. I know what would happen if I stood up in class and insulted someone with the forbidden ethnic slurs. But I can call someone a "faggot" and get hardly a notice from the teacher.

If you're not in favor of tolerance, then you are against us. It's just that simple. There is no middle ground. It's not OK to stay quiet and allow those around you to hurt people. You don't have to be gay to hate gay-bashing. I'm not saying you should call attention to yourself publicly. But I'm sure there are times in private when you had an opportunity to let others know that their behavior is unacceptable, and failed to do so. So who has less ethics, the bully or you?

Oh, the trip to Memphis to march in the Gay Pride Parade got postponed till next year. It was just too soon to make proper plans.

Sources (CNN & ABC News):

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Health/jamey-rodemeyer-suicide-ny-police-open-criminal-investigation/story?id=14580832[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQwdeJuvcPs[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCH0UwfbRw[/url]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1328 Comments 3
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Brighter.Tomorrow's Forum Picture
    Hmm...I agree very much with this. I like it a lot, though your other ones are good too, I'd give you rep if I could.
    Posted September 29th, 2011 at 11:41 PM by Brighter.Tomorrow Brighter.Tomorrow is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Bullying is a serious problem, and needs to be illegal.
  3. Old Comment
    maxii's Forum Picture
    bullying is illegal here in Connecticut.. after the death of multiple kids.. i like how u think lil dude, ur very mature for ur age.. hmu to chat some time ;D