Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Rate this Entry

Why are there so many gays on VT?

Posted July 24th, 2011 at 09:59 AM by Donkey
Updated July 24th, 2011 at 02:46 PM by Donkey

Pondering to myself while casually moderating the advice forums, I wondered why there were so many members of the LGBT community on VT. I'll analyse this question here.

I thought about the way gays interacted compared to straights, and in a weird series of complex thought streams, I came to a most interesting ideology: it is, stereotypically, men who bond with each other and form relationships by shared activity and doing things together such as football or computer games, whereas it is also stereotypically women who bond with each other by talking and sharing emotions, e.g. going on "girls nights outs" or slumber parties where they stay up late and talk as opposed to playing games and eating as much as they can.

Alas, and this is not meant offensively (I am more-or-less a homosexual myself, of course), gays behave more like females than other men. Their mindset is more feminine and they care more to be empathetic and emotional; this has been shown by both brain scans and hormone levels found in gay men. VT is a place where social communication is the only activity: there is no arcade, no TV, rizzlas or baccy to smoke. Thus, one would assume it appeals to feminine people who use social communication to connect more.

So why are we so dominated by gay/bi-sexual men? Obviously a large degree of this is in the site's subject matter; the Teen Sexuality and Puberty 101 forums contribute heavily to this sexuality divide. But, it is additionally because straight men will be less attracted to use a website where only talking, communicating and sharing ideas with others is key.

So why not a small proportion of gay men and mostly females, now we've established that the feminine are more attracted to the site? A BBC article I read also showed that men dominated the world of political blogs, and relatively few were owned by women. Those owning political blogs will have similar mindsets to those who use forums: there to broadcast their opinion to the world.

I haven't done enough research into the science, but it is most probably the case that some of the hormones more prominent in straight females that gay men have higher amounts of cause the feminine qualities of social communication (where the "camp" stereotype might derive from, too) whereas whatever causes men to be more outspoken and wanting to share opinions and views on things retains in gay men as much as straight men. In my experience in the forum world, almost all message boards are male-dominated.

Alas, it's an interesting question with an interesting (but only probable) answer. I hope you enjoyed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3604 Comments 13
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I agree! I was actually kinda surprised to see so much acceptance and so much males of the LGBT community. C:
    Posted July 24th, 2011 at 10:43 AM by Angel Androgynous Angel Androgynous is offline
  2. Old Comment
    deadpie's Forum Picture
    I'm a conservative republican tea party lover and I have gay people. STRAIGHT 4 LYFE OMGZ LOVE MICHELLE BACHMEN
  3. Old Comment
    michael.95's Forum Picture
    I haven't noticed a great deal in the number of gay people on this forum.
  4. Old Comment
    Donkey's Forum Picture
    Take a look at this poll, michael; it shows a great difference to usual out-gay proportions in population (roughly 3-5%) http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72528
  5. Old Comment
    Donkey's gay? Again, my gaydar fails me. Getting back to reality now: this blog was extremely well written! The many clauses, both sub and ordinate, antecedents, and just the complexity of the sentence structure astounds me! Plus the content of the blog and yadah yadah yadah. Very nice, Donkey, kudos and bravo!
  6. Old Comment
    macbox84's Forum Picture
    i feel like there are some people who are gay that share feminine qualities and all men do have so called "female" qualities. but not all do and most dont actually...from my interaction with gay men, i think that people are who they are and arent feminine or masculine, just them
  7. Old Comment
    Kujiro's Forum Picture
    That research is viable, but it does seem that this site too works as a medium prior to asking questions and doubts which resides within themselves.

Coming out is generally not an easy task, and it would never be, I have discussed that although sexuality is not a matter of choice, it's still a drift from the stereotypically defacto norm.

A site of such form of communication brings entirely different people of different walks of life to discuss, minus the skepticism, judgment and scrutiny of people whom know you personally.
    I for one find a level of solace speaking to a stranger to a certain category of problems.

For instance if you already know someone's sexuality before talking to them, it makes plenty a difference from knowing them before.

It's a place where people openly and safely place their issues up to be helped.
  8. Old Comment
    Ender's Forum Picture
    You should look into journalism
  9. Old Comment
    Dimitri's Forum Picture
    Jon, I love your writing, you need to do more please....
  10. Old Comment
    pineinchneis's Forum Picture
    very observant
    Posted January 3rd, 2012 at 04:20 AM by pineinchneis pineinchneis is offline
  11. Old Comment
    Lovemeorleaveme's Forum Picture
    another reason is that us LGBT's need a place were we can feel accepted and be able to be fully honest about our feelings, we need to be able to feel accepted,or at least that has to be why some LGBT's joined, its why I did.
    Posted May 18th, 2012 at 07:09 PM by Lovemeorleaveme Lovemeorleaveme is offline
  12. Old Comment
    Thunderstorm's Forum Picture
    I've realized this too. I am straight and come from the Ask community, similar to VT, but like a teen and adult forum. There are NO gays there. That's weird? Because you said Gays assimilate around Technology...
    Posted June 22nd, 2012 at 08:31 PM by Thunderstorm Thunderstorm is offline
  13. Old Comment
    LatinaVivit's Forum Picture
    I've never thought about it like that...Nice!