Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Rate this Entry

Entry 2-Raised on Radio

Posted August 28th, 2011 at 05:35 AM by Wakesetter03

Well I'm back. I got a better response than I thought I would on my first entry, so I figured I'd give this another go. So too begin with my second entry, I thought I'd give a bit about myself. Whilst I suspect no one will care, I'm going to do it anyway.
I'm an individual, and I have free will.
So, to begin with, I'm 14, male and straight.
Average then.
I am usually quite popular, I don't struggle making friends most of the time, and as to my last blog, I am settling into my new school better now, and I am starting to get comfortable with people.
Dad also sold the Porsche, coincidence? I think not. They're for cocks anyway, ask Jeremy Clarkson.
Again, I digress (I love saying that)
I'm not as close to my parents as I would hope.
My dad being a mining exec, he travels constantly and usually takes my mother with him.
Because they can't take me to school, they have leased an apartment closer to school than our house, where I can walk, skate or ride a bike to school, and I can live there while they are away. A friend of mine who has his licence occasionally picks me up on his way to work if it's raining.
Therefore, whenever my parents are around, I try and spend as much time with them as possible.
The past week, my dad had off. No travelling, no work, just family. And it's been a damn good week at that.
For the past few weeks, my dad and I have been talking, face to face or on the phone as necessary, as he asked me to help him pick out a new car.
Only two weeks ago, we were in a contract to purchase a Ford F-450 Super Duty. We were expecting a 3 month wait.
As I was doing some research, I found that a local company, Performax International, had just recieved a shipment of Chevrolet Silverados. In Australia, it is hard to find large American trucks.
Aided by Google and coffee, I checked them out, and at 1am, called my dad to beg him to cancel the contract on the Ford.
As I said, my dad and I aren't as close as normal father and sons.
He told me to call the next morning, and hung up.
So I went to bed, realising that it probably was a pretty stupid idea.
I called dad the next day, to tell him about the Chevy's. He listened to my spiel, said thanks and asked for me not to call him again.
This hurt fairly deeply, but I tried to ignore it.
I went to school, came home, did the homework I had to do, ditched the stuff I could avoid, and slept. I was pretty pissed as well. That week, I look back now and feel quite sick. I'm not overly sensitive with many things, but family is important to me, and I felt, I don't know, betrayed, by my dad.
That Saturday, I was greeted by a knock on the door.
I'm not sure if it was because my mother had had a go at him, or if he truly felt guilty, but I opened the door to see my dad holding two cans of Monster. I respected that he had knocked and not just opened my door with his key.
After an awkward silence, my dad cleared his throat and asked if I would like to come for a drive.
As spoilt as it sounds, my thoughts were that if he was buying me off, more than an energy drink was necessary.
I shut everything down in the apartment, and followed my dad to the elevator.
Long story short, we got into the car and we were pretty much silent until we hit the highway.
Out of the blue, my dad said something that I have never heard him say in my life.
"You know son, that I am proud of you?"
At this point, the few remaining guys reading this have left at the possibility of an upcoming chick flick story. My apologies.
In the hour and a half trip, my dad and I spoke like a close father and son for the first time in years.
By the time we reached Gympie, I can honestly say my dad and I were closer.
Too my surprise dad had taken me to Performax.
He turned to me, and said: "Well, why are we cancelling the Ford?"
So me and my dad walked around a car dealership with me showing him the Chevy's. By the time we were bothered by a salesmen my dad had made up his mind.
We picked up a black Chevy Silverado 2500HD that Wednesday (24th August) .
Thursday was again some good news for me.
Dad had planned for 2 months of holidays from work, and had planned for a weekend holiday, just my parents my sister and me. The first of what I hope is many. We had an awesome weekend, and at the moment we are a proper family
Right now, I am the happiest I have been in months.
Before I was Raised on Radio, now I feel like part of an ordinary family.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1155 Comments 2
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Foamy's Forum Picture
    That's such an uplifting story. Good 4 u getting closer to ur dad.
  2. Old Comment
    Wakesetter03's Forum Picture
    Thanks Glad you enjoyed reading
    Posted August 29th, 2011 at 02:52 AM by Wakesetter03 Wakesetter03 is offline