Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

My blog, or the idea of it, is about life:

The wisdom that I have grasped,
The plights that I currently endure,
And the potential of the future.
Rate this Entry

Shouldn't We?

Posted February 23rd, 2009 at 03:47 PM by Kiros

I suppose I'm a little confused. I'm a little angry. I'm a little depressed. And it's because of how my family thinks and acts, although I know many other people are the same way.

I just got back from giving blood. My father, my mother, and my brother chose not to. I've been giving blood on a very regular basis for the past year and a half (since I turned 18 years old). I don't give blood because I have to. I don't give blood because The Blood Center gives me a shirt or a calendar or a cookie. I give blood because that blood may save someone's life. I think that, alone, is worth taking an hour out of my life every couple of months. Another thing that bugs me is about my family's apathy to help anyone that they don't know.

Last night, I went shopping with my mother. After about an hour in Wal Mart, we were almost finished. We were grabbing a few 2-liter sodas. My mom noticed that 7-Up was only a dollar, so she got one. She picked up a normal diet bottle while there were many bottles with pink tops and a pink stripe on the label. I asked her if she saw them, and she said, "Yeah." So I asked her, "Why don't you get one of the bottles with the pink? It's obviously to support a good cause." And her answer was simply "I don't know." I swapped the bottles around because she didn't feel like it. I don't know if the normal bottles don't also support the same cause, but I figured that it's not worth risking.

If I can help someone, anyone, and I have the ability to, then I'm definitely going to give it an effort. Why doesn't my family feel the same way?

Shouldn't we do good? Shouldn't we help where we can? Shouldn't we think of others, even the people we don't know? Shouldn't we?
Posted in Life, Interests
Views 2871 Comments 14
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 14

Comments

1. Old Comment
    redcar's Forum Picture
    I couldn't agree with you more. I think any chance we have to be able to help other people, be it in a small way or big way we really have to.

That is so cool you give blood. I have so much respect for people who do. I'd love to give blood but our blood transfusion board doesn't consider my blood good enough because I am gay,
  2. Old Comment
    AutumnDae's Forum Picture
    I always give money or help in other ways when I can.

The movie theater asks if you want to donate a dollar to support......something. I don't know what it is, but I do it.

The grocery store asks if you want to donate money, and I always do.

I help out any way I can. It makes me feel like I am helping out in some way!
    Posted February 23rd, 2009 at 04:03 PM by AutumnDae AutumnDae is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Zephyr's Forum Picture
    I donate blood when I get the chance, been giving consistently ever since I was 16.

At the store in October they'd ask if I'd like to round my purchase up and donate the change to breast cancer, I said yes, and not just because my Granny had it and my mum had a scare of it.

In high school the last few years my friend Sarah and I have collected pop cans and bottles plus the ones others brought in, took 4 hours out of our class time and took them back to the store and donated the money to the local Thanksgiving Basket Program in our community that our school was endorsing.

Sometimes, like you did, my sister and I will buy a product in which part of the sales proceeds go towards a good cause, even if it costs a little extra.

I've done the March Of Dimes in the past as well.

A lot of the times, I tutor and help friends and my cousins out in their homework just because.

People who are charitable are out there, they just seem few and far at times.

You're heart's in the right place Ben, and that's what matters. You can't help how your family is, but people can change = ]
  4. Old Comment
    Atonement's Forum Picture
    I totally agree. But... I can't give blood. Dumb blood disorder stuff that makes anyone that WOULD receive my blood would reject it. But in reference to the pop and such you were talking about, I definately agree.
    Posted February 23rd, 2009 at 05:44 PM by Atonement Atonement is offline
  5. Old Comment
    ShatteredWings's Forum Picture
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redcar View Comment
    I'd love to give blood but our blood transfusion board doesn't consider my blood good enough because I am gay,
    You may or may not like this sugestion, but you could lie...

=/ if it costs the same/ not much more, why not support something? People are weird sometimes
    Posted February 23rd, 2009 at 06:19 PM by ShatteredWings ShatteredWings is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    I'd love to give blood but our blood transfusion board doesn't consider my blood good enough because I am gay,
    For real? Wow.

Anyways, I hope to give blood [although I'm freakin' scared of needles and last time I got blood drawn I wen woozy ] once I turn 18 [hopefully i'll get less woozy].
    No one in my family does; I was barely aware it was done on a regular basis by some.
  7. Old Comment
    Zephyr's Forum Picture
    You can be 16 and give blood with parental consent,
    And 17 or older without to give blood.

Unless it's different state-to-state,
    But as far as I know that's the rule from The Red Cross itself.
  8. Old Comment
    Hm, that's interesting. I'll look into it... Eventually
    Anyways, is that a way to make one less woozy once their blood is taken?
    Like drinking lots of water, but other stuff.
    [Not to hijack your blog Ben, but it's for the good of the people! ]
  9. Old Comment
    Ben, you are an absolutely awesome person. =] Keep doing good things for the world, and I'll try my best to follow your footsteps.

And yes, people should do these things if it doesn't really affect them. Karma.
  10. Old Comment
    redcar's Forum Picture
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [crazy]girl View Comment
    You may or may not like this sugestion, but you could lie...
    I wouldn't lie about that. Our Transfusion Board has a lot of rules and safe gaurds because in the 70's, 80's and 90's they fucked up big time and basically infected a lot of people with Hepatitis C.
  11. Old Comment
    Couldn't they test you, instead of assuming you have diseases because you're gay?
  12. Old Comment
    Alec75's Forum Picture
    agree with this, i always like to help, as long as i can, i will
  13. Old Comment
    TheMatrix's Forum Picture
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redcar View Comment
    what does being gay have to do with anything? are they afraid of "gayifying" someone? tell them to get a life. im no medical expert, but "gay" isn't in your blood. are they stupid or something??
  14. Old Comment
    EliraLupa's Forum Picture
    I completely agree! I don't think I'm old enough to give blood yet, but I definitely will when i can. I'm really glad I come from a family who do quite a lot to help others.