PDA

View Full Version : Is it ADHD?

SnowWhitesMaid
March 21st, 2011, 02:17 AM
I myself think I'm very ADHD, but my mom refuses to get me tested or bring me to a doctor to talk about it. I know she has ADD, and several of my cousins have ADD or ADHD also (Not sure if it's passed through family or just totally random).
I've looked at symptoms online and found them similar to how I act, although my mom disagrees. She says that's about the opposite of how I act at home. Maybe that's true, but only because I act different at home! I'm more used to everything and feel less pressured!

Anyways I seem to constantly just lose attention. In mid class I'll find myself thinking about my plans for the weekend, or what I'm having for dinner! This especially applys in classes I hate and find boring but sometimes even at lunch when I'm with all my friends having fun!
I'm also very fidgety. I have to sit with my legs crossed (like crisscross cross apple sauce) or I have to be leaning back somehow otherwise I bounce up and down or kick the desk or tap my feet on the chair legs... Alot!

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Alexithymia
March 26th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It sounds like ADHD. It sounded like just a normal teenager until you said you did it with your friends as well. Also the fidgety thing is another indicator. I'd talk to your mom about it and convince her to get you tested. Better safe than sorry, right?

Syvelocin
March 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Since ADD is usually a neurological problem, it can be inherited. And with that much of a history, it wouldn't surprise me if you had it, as it's much more likely a kid with a family history of a mental illness will get it. I don't know the exact statistics for ADD, but I know with most mental illnesses, your chance goes up by as much as two or three times the chance of someone without that family history. Definitely try to convince your mother, so you can get a professional's opinion.

SnowWhitesMaid
March 27th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Ok guys thanks :)
Yeah she doesn't want me taking any medication, but if I'm tested atleast I'll be able to know for sure and maybe get some help. I know that for one of my classes we split up for test taking and everyone who has trouble paying attention goes in another room-- that could be a start right?

Spook
March 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure why your mom doesn't want to get you tested for it. Why wouldn't she want you to take medication? If fidgeting is distracting you from school or messing with your daily activities, you should definately get help. My brother and sister both have ADHD, and they had the same things you did, exept worse. So I think you should get treated if you truly think you have it. Good luck. :D