PDA

View Full Version : Worried about being Bipolar, help?

Sova
January 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
It's something that a lot of people claim to have to seek attention, so I haven't really voiced my worries about it before, but I've for a while been wondering if I have bipolar disorder or something similar..

I change mood more than I think is really normal, and it's not unusual for me to at random times in the day get angry or upset (such as crying first thing in the morning) for no real reason. And when I do have a trigger for a certain emotion it seems exaggerated, like if I have an argument with a parent over something small things end up getting thrown and broken and walls end up being punched... I have before made a large dent in my animal cage (the animals were not inside at the time, luckily) when I threw a chair in a rage. Or when I become upset, say school work has become too much or I get upset over my friends recent death again, I can cry for over an hour while pacing or scratching at my arms (not too hard) and muttering to myself.

Admittedly I don't know much about the disorder, or if there are any others like it, but I just wonder if I simply need to make much more effort to pull my emotions in or if there is some reason for me behaviour.

Syvelocin
January 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
The main thing you want to consider is that most cases of bipolar disorder do not feature rapid cycling. They can, but your typical patient will have longer periods. Mood swings like that I associate more with borderline personality disorder.

There is something in bipolar disorder called rapid cycling, but if this:

Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
Excessively “high,” overly good, euphoric mood
Extreme irritability
Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
Distractibility, can’t concentrate well
Little sleep needed
Unrealistic beliefs in one’s abilities and powers
A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
Hallucinations
(With your typical depression symptoms thrown in as well) sounds more like you than this:

Make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
Have a pattern of difficult relationships caused by alternating between extremes of intense admiration and hatred of others.
Have an unstable self-image or be unsure of his or her own identity.
Act impulsively in ways that are self-damaging, such as extravagant spending, frequent and unprotected sex with many partners, substance abuse, binge eating, or reckless driving.
Have recurring suicidal thoughts, make repeated suicide attempts, or cause self-injury through mutilation, such as cutting or burning himself or herself.
Have frequent emotional overreactions or intense mood swings, including feeling depressed, irritable, or anxious. These mood swings usually only last a few hours at a time. In rare cases, they may last a day or two.
Have long-term feelings of emptiness.
Have inappropriate, fierce anger or problems controlling anger. The person may often display temper tantrums or get into physical fights.
Have temporary episodes of feeling suspicious of others without reason (paranoia) or losing a sense of reality.
Then I'd look further into the possibilty of you having bipolar disorder. The two disorders are honestly hard to pick between, but that's why you need a professional's opinion to figure out which it is.

Sova
January 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for replying, that really gave me a better insight on things (: though the second list you gave sounds a lot more like me than the first.. I'll definitely try to get a professionals opinion.