PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

cbanc
November 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to have both clinical depression and bipolar disorder because I can see why could and couldn't because they do conflict a little mostly with the manic episodes. I personally think you can and that I do indeed have both but I was just hoping to get some other opinions on the matter. thanks

Syvelocin
November 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Bipolar disorder is essentially the existence of both depression and some type of mania in the patient. One diagnosis is usually all that is necessary unless the depression is related entirely to something else, like postnatal.

That's mainly why there are different types of bipolar disorder

Bipolar I
A person affected by bipolar I disorder has had at least one manic episode in his or her life. A manic episode is a period of abnormally elevated mood, accompanied by abnormal behavior that disrupts life.

Bipolar II
Bipolar II is similar to bipolar I disorder, with moods cycling between high and low over time. However, in bipolar II disorder, the "up" moods never reach full-on mania.

Rapid Cycling
In rapid cycling, a person with bipolar disorder experiences four or more episodes of mania or depression in one year. About 10% to 20% of people with bipolar disorder have rapid cycling.

Mixed Bipolar
In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. But with mixed bipolar disorder, a person experiences both mania and depression simultaneously or in rapid sequence.

Cyclothymia
Cyclothymia (cyclothymic disorder) is a relatively mild mood disorder. People with cyclothymic disorder have milder symptoms than in full-blown bipolar disorder.

In short, it is pointless for a psychiatrist to diagnose a patient both clinically depressed and bipolar, as clinical depression is a symptom of bipolar disorder.

cbanc
November 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
well thank you very much for the very extensive answer! =)

Syvelocin
November 17th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Lol, no problem :P I'm diagnosed with Bipolar I myself.

cbanc
November 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I am not diagnosed with bi polar but I have all the symptoms of it but my therapist for some reason only looked at the depression part of it and says I just have clinical depression. But bouts of mania definitely make someone bipolar!

Syvelocin
November 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Depending, I'd imagine. Especially if you have full-on mania cycles. You can be diagnosed bipolar without even having mania by its definition, as in minor cases. If you think it's not just clinical depression, it's definitely alright to disagree with your professional since it is you who knows you best. I'd talk to her a little more about the possibility, ask why she doesn't think you are bipolar.