PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 Bipolar

Bananasmoothie
September 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hi just thought id let people know that I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar. I have been looking for somewhere i can talk about this and with people my age. So it looks like its ok to talk here. If you have the same condition or similar please hit me up because im still trying to find out more and how i will be affected with the rest of my life. Im rob and would like to talk to people who are similar please and find out more about all this. Thank you

Rob

Syvelocin
September 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hey!

I've been diagnosed with bipolar I for three years, though I've had symptoms all throughout my life.

I'm always open to talk, and I would love to. I'm studying to become a psychologist, so I could use the experience. ;)

Bipolar disorder, not to scare you off or anything, can have an incredible impact on your future. From the little things like hallucinations and losing sleep affecting your wellbeing, or maybe school/work, to it affecting relationships with family and friends. And depending on how your bipolar disorder is like, how severe your manic episodes are and such, it can seriously impair daily life. It was quite hard for me when I was first diagnosed. And it led to a lot of problems in my life. But you just have to hang in there until you get your meds set up. It might be hard, but through all of that, I've met very few bipolar patients who would get rid of their disorder entirely if they could.

Zephyr
September 6th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hello there :)

I'm Bipolar type 1 myself, I've been diagnosed for 5 years. The psych ward is actually why I joined VT. The site really is a wonderful place to meet people out there that go through the same things.

It's taken me for a wild ride over the years; I've attempted suicide a number of times, I have a 7 year history of self harm, I've had delusions and hallucinations, often my manic states take me across state lines and even once I've ended up in Canada for a couple days and nobody knew where I had gone.

I've taken many different medications over the years, so I have a lot of knowledge regarding medications. I've also taken a great number of psychology courses ever since my senior year of high school.

It can seem like a curse a lot of the time, but it gives you a unique and often deeper understanding on the world and the people in it. It also gives you a more creative niche.

I'm curious as to your history: What led you to seek a diagnosis? What have your episodes been like?

Bananasmoothie
September 7th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Thanks for your replies guys. Its a long and difficult story with what lead to my diagnosis and something I wouldnt talk about so publicly on here with yet. The doctors say it started following an accident where my brother died. It kind of went down hill from there. I would like support but do get afraid to ask, I dont trust people so easily but do get told I need to talk about these things. I am on meds and they seem ok, but was last in hospital back in march/april as got really paranoid and basically disappeared for a bit coz i thought i was protecting people. It sometimes just seems a bit messed up and I just dont know what to do. Other times am really great and it doesnt seem to bother me. I think the worst thing though is feeling so alone. I joined here to talk to people but end up finding other things that confuse me. I can communicate well but just realise after its not what im trying to find. Im wanting friendships with people who do really understand so i dont feel so alone.

Guess that just sounds pathethic, but thats just a little snippet of my feelings. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply

Rob x

Syvelocin
September 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. Its a long and difficult story with what lead to my diagnosis and something I wouldnt talk about so publicly on here with yet. The doctors say it started following an accident where my brother died. It kind of went down hill from there. I would like support but do get afraid to ask, I dont trust people so easily but do get told I need to talk about these things. I am on meds and they seem ok, but was last in hospital back in march/april as got really paranoid and basically disappeared for a bit coz i thought i was protecting people. It sometimes just seems a bit messed up and I just dont know what to do. Other times am really great and it doesnt seem to bother me. I think the worst thing though is feeling so alone. I joined here to talk to people but end up finding other things that confuse me. I can communicate well but just realise after its not what im trying to find. Im wanting friendships with people who do really understand so i dont feel so alone.

Guess that just sounds pathethic, but thats just a little snippet of my feelings. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply

Rob x

You're in the right place, because I'm sure many people here will have a good idea on what you're going through, just with their own past experiences and feelings. It's much easier to trust people on here and open up, since no one knows you personally. Therefore, we can't judge you or tell people about what you say. It's pretty close to anonymous, and I know if you ever need help or advice, there are loads of members who'd volunteer to hear you out, including me. You'll definitely not be alone on here.

And you don't sound pathetic. Feelings like that are never pathetic, remember that.

Bananasmoothie
September 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thank you for taking the time to say that Syvelocin. Believe me its really needed to hear that today. Had a bit of a tuff morning and people around me really just dont seem to understand. Really dont wanna turn 18 next year if being grown up means its ok to be horrible to younger people. It just feels like am so alone here and no one understands or i just get hit for being a wimp. Then i get unwell and it just makes things worse. Just dont know where to turn today. Sorry to go on dont wanna sound like im feeling sorry for myself or anything just wanna be shaken and snap out of this feeling today

Syvelocin
September 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I know what you mean. Getting this stuff out there really helps relieve that weight. And you're definitely welcome.

They're never going to understand unless they have bipolar disorder. Everyone can sympathize, very few can empathize. It's hard, really. I'm thankful myself that my mother has it, just cause then she knows when it's too hard for me. But when you don't have people like that, that's why we have forums like these. Because in reality, loads of people understand. You're just not surrounded with the right people.

Being 18 is a beautiful thing though, at least for me. I've been waiting for it for a while. For me, it's really helped to have control over my life. Not living under my family's roof has been a big stress-relief. It's just me, my college studies, and my fiancÚ. Adults can be ignorant, more so than some kids can often be, but you don't have to be like that.