View Full Version : I think im biopolar

August 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
i have serious mood swings all the time
i literllay will go from grumpy to happy to sad and then when im sad i end up cutting myself. my dad had biopolar and so did his mom and all his sisters and he says that it runs in his family
is it possible that i have biopolar?

August 17th, 2010, 07:58 PM
It is more likely that if you have anything, it's BPD (borderline personality disorder). Bipolar disorder isn't mood swings; it's actually periods of "mania" and "depression" which is why it's also called manic depression. These periods last anywhere from a couple weeks to two months. Temporary mood swings are much more characteristic of bpd. Also, the vast majority of people with bpd self-harm, like yourself. If I were you, I would do some research on bpd and see if that sounds like what you have.

August 19th, 2010, 11:50 PM
It's definitely possible for bipolar disorder to be inherited, but we can't diagnose you. Since your dad has experience with this, could you possibly talk to him and get him to take you to a professional? At 17, you probably can do so on your own as well of course, but either way it's important that you seek out some proper medical advice about this. Idle speculation won't do you any good.

Keep in mind that BPD encompasses much more than just emotional instability and tendencies of self-harm, but again, none of us here are in a position to say for certain, so your best bet in this case is to speak to someone qualified.

Good luck and take care. :hug3:

August 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
It could be bipolar, but none of us here can diagnose you, just give you adive.
If you´re really worried about it, see a professional, who will be able to give you a proper diagnosis if there is one to give.
Seeing as you´re relatives have it, bipolar could be the case, however as the others have said, PBD could also be a possibility that shouldn´t be ruled out until you have spoken to a professional.
Maybe you could go to your GP, and they´ll tell you whether you need to see a phsychiatrist, or whether it isn´t anything to worry about.
I can´t say for certain, and neither can anyone else, so seeing a doctor seems like the best idea for you.

Good luck :hug: