PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm The One Who Is The Schizophrenic Psycho

Zeh Crazy
May 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Ok, I won't really hear voices a whole lot, but I will hear sounds. I hear trains, babies crying, children laughing, murmuring, pages turning, clicking, etc. Then I see stuff out of the corner of my eyes and I have seen spiders who weren't there when I looked a second later. The first time I saw a spider that wasn't there was when I was 6-8, I think. I don't remember...And I have started to group thoughts that I know aren't mine into people, but they don't talk to me. I just group the thoughts. I am also paranoid a lot and have had feelings of distrust and wild ideas about my family and friends. I sometimes think they're out to get me, trying to kill me, etc. Do you think I have it?

Sith Lord 13
May 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
It's possible, but it could be any of a number of things. Get yourself to a GP and get checked out.

Zeh Crazy
May 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
It's possible, but it could be any of a number of things. Get yourself to a GP and get checked out.

I see a psychologist and psychiatrist...They never formally diagnosed me with anything, but I take meds. I sort of distrust doctors, too.

Zephyr
May 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Generally, professionals in the psychological field refrain from diagnosing schizophrenia in minors since the common onset tends to be more of early adult hood, 18-24 if I remember correctly. Seeing as you're 15, you arn't in that range yet, so your psychiatrist may be abstaining from giving you a diagnosis at this point in time for that reason. It sounds like in the mean time, they're simply treating your symptoms, which is actually a better course to take rather than putting you under some sort of category.

Zeh Crazy
May 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Generally, professionals in the psychological field refrain from diagnosing schizophrenia in minors since the common onset tends to be more of early adult hood, 18-24 if I remember correctly. Seeing as you're 15, you arn't in that range yet, so your psychiatrist may be abstaining from giving you a diagnosis at this point in time for that reason. It sounds like in the mean time, they're simply treating your symptoms, which is actually a better course to take rather than putting you under some sort of category.

I don't like that they're just treating my symptoms. It's very unprofessional. I've been going to a psychiatrist for 3 years. I deserve a diagnosis. I can't just waltz in and say "I think I have Schizophrenia". All I can do is ask for more tests, but no one seems to want to do that and find out what's wrong with me. Maybe there is nothing wrong with me...Let's put it this way: My mom is Bi-Polar, my sis is Bi-Polar, my grandma has Depression, my dad has Post-Traumatic Stress and Depression, my uncle, cousin, and grandpa have seizures, my other grandpa was Bi-Polar, etc. Yeah, plus alcoholism and drug addiction. There's not gonna be something wrong with me? BOSHIT!

Zephyr
May 23rd, 2010, 01:29 AM
Actually hun, it's better that they treat your symptoms rather than treat a diagnosis. I know it sounds 'unprofessional' as you put it, but it's actually very common. Just listen to the voice of experience:

I was diagnosed Bipolar, and still am. I've had a history of more psychotic symptoms like full blown psychosis, full on hallucinations, severe paranoia, fast alternating mania and depression... much like my grandmother who is a Schizophrenic. Of course, they didn't want to diagnose me with Schizophrenia due to my age, 14 at the time. Upon getting my diagnosis of Bipolar, they just gave me generic, stereotypical medications for what my diagnosis is. I was doped out on Lithium all the time, and it wasn't helping at all. I then got a new doctor who took the 'treat the symptoms, not the diagnosis' approach, and he gave me a somewhat different medication that overlapped both Schizophrenia and Bipolar called Seroquel, and I've been on that same medication for years, and I've never been better.

Mind you, your symptoms arn't strictly Schizophrenic. The psychological field is by no means perfect. People's need to put things into categories make it hard at times for people to get the right treatment since a lot of symptoms overlap a lot of different disorders. If you've come here looking for a diagnosis, nobody here can give you one. At best, there are college students, such as myself, who are currently studying psychology, no professionals.

If you arn't happy with your psychiatrist beating around the bush for three years, perhaps try a new one, not all psychiatrists are the same, just have to go by the same book which is the DSM IV. Mind you, taking tests isn't the proper way to get a diagnosis though, and by no means the most accurate due to symptoms overlapping a lot of different disorders.

If you MUST have a diagnosis, the proper way to go about it is to let a psychiatrist know what you're experiencing, the severity of the symptoms, how often, when they occur, etc.; And it isn't done all in one session, as they need to know what your behavior is over time. It is, indeed, not just something that you walk in and say, "I think I have this", take a test and it's done. That's an extremely reckless way of diagnosing.

emt.Cam
June 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I'm going to agree with Epiphany, sweetie. A lot of us on here are just like one another. Like Epiphany, I'm a college student majoring in Criminal Justice and taking Psychology classes and such. We have no way of properly diagnosing you; although, many know of the signs and symptoms that you may be experiencing. I'll tell you upfront that I don't suffer from anything that I've noticed in my lifetime. As Epiphany stated, it's better to treat the person rather than the "disease"

"You treat a disease, you win, you loose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you'll win, no matter what the outcome."

That is just a quote from Patch Adams and it's true. Treating you is better because of the multiple disorders out there with similar symptoms. I feel it is in your best benefit to be treated from what your psychiatrist has gathered from you.