PDA

View Full Version : I'm obssessive... and compulsive

tommyboy
April 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
So, as by the title, you can tell I have obsessive compulsive disorder. Just curious to if there is any cure for that? Or if not a cure, any way to help treat it? Like a pill a day or something? Any thoughts, suggestions, solutions? Thanks!

BeautifulDisaster
April 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Is this self diagnosed, or diagnosed by a mental health professional?

There is no "cure" for OCD, it can be managed through many treatments, if it is severe, medication is an option, though many professionals don't like to give medication unless it is needed, but therapy is the best treatment for OCD, particularly Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_and_response_prevention

Other techniques are used to battle the daily war with OCD, a professional would be a good start though on tackling this disorder.

Kaius
April 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Moving to OCD

tommyboy
April 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Moving to OCD

Yeah, sorry I wasn't sure where to put this.

Is this self diagnosed, or diagnosed by a mental health professional?

There is no "cure" for OCD, it can be managed through many treatments, if it is severe, medication is an option, though many professionals don't like to give medication unless it is needed, but therapy is the best treatment for OCD, particularly Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_and_response_prevention

Other techniques are used to battle the daily war with OCD, a professional would be a good start though on tackling this disorder.

Define self diagnosed. I know I have it, I don't need any stuck up medical doctor telling me something I already know, and then wasting away my money to them to tell me something I already know.

So there is no cure? :(
I was watching Dr. Oz about OCD and stuff and I saw a few people almost like me lol.

BeautifulDisaster
April 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM
You do need a professional to diagnose it, you can't diagnose yourself, you are not trained to diagnose yourself.

So be it though if you don't want to waste money, but you may not even have OCD, it may be something else, or nothing at all.

Have a nice day.