PDA

View Full Version : I think I have add

technicolor_sunshine
March 24th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm 15 years old, and have always had problems paying attention in class. I make stupid mistakes all the time, and if i'm not interested in the subject, then i don't care about it. I forget about homework all the time, but somehow manage to do well on most tests, so my marks aren't terrible. I don't really show any signs of hyperactivity, but whenever I sit down I'm constantly tapping my foot or any other part of my body for no apparent reason. I'm no good at team sports, but I excel at sports that don't require doubles or a large team. This is my first year of high school, and ever since it started I feel as though my problems with school have escalated beyond what they were until now. There is more that I really don't feel like putting in this post, so I'll just get staight to the point.
Sure, I think I have it, but I don't know how to tell my parents that I think I do or that I'd like to be tested. If any of you out there have any ideas on how to tell my parents, then that'd be great. Thanks for any advice.

Peace God
March 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
tell them you are concerned about your school performance wanna see doctor about it just in case you have a learning disabilty
i wouldnt throw add out there the first time because some parents might take that as making an excuse for your school troubles

Scarface
March 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just tell your parents that you have a problem concentrating and that you would like to see a psychiatrist To be diagnosed. I have ADHD myself and it's quite hard to concentrate i have a hard time sitting still and I sometimes have a hard time staying organized. I was put on medication for it. For some it works and for some it doesn't. Just ask them I think they will help.

Brayden
March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Based solely on what you've described, you don't come across as ADD. You perform well when you absolutely need to. Tapping your foot isn't really diagnostic of ADD either, it could just be a nervous tic, something which most people do. I wouldn't say that you have trouble concentrating on all subjects per sey, but trouble concentrating on subjects that don't interest you In either case, a psychological evaluation should be considered, to at least rule out the ADD.

Garrett14
April 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM
ill agree with the post above me. you sound like me and i have it, but to be honest, its not a learning disability. its an attention deficit disorder. theres a huge difference

BeautifulDisaster
April 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM
It is actually considered a learning disability. ^^

If you suspect you have ADD/ADHD, you'll need to see a professional, perhaps showing your parents this post could be a starting point.

Cronyne
April 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I reccomend seeing a doctor who's willing to look for causes OTHER than ADHD. I've read a book about one doctor's journey. Here's an example. This kid was passed off as severe ADHD, until this doctor checked out other things that may have caused his erratic behavior. Turns out there was an excessive lead build-up in his brain that caused it, and would have been expected to kill him early.

So make sure you go to a doctor that doesn't give out ADHD willy-nilly.

BUENA
May 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
you should not be afraid to tell your parents...If you know that they love you, then it should not be a problem. they would WANT to help you.

Dopestep
May 12th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm 15 years old, and have always had problems paying attention in class. I make stupid mistakes all the time, and if i'm not interested in the subject, then i don't care about it. I forget about homework all the time, but somehow manage to do well on most tests, so my marks aren't terrible. I don't really show any signs of hyperactivity, but whenever I sit down I'm constantly tapping my foot or any other part of my body for no apparent reason. I'm no good at team sports, but I excel at sports that don't require doubles or a large team. This is my first year of high school, and ever since it started I feel as though my problems with school have escalated beyond what they were until now. There is more that I really don't feel like putting in this post, so I'll just get staight to the point.
Sure, I think I have it, but I don't know how to tell my parents that I think I do or that I'd like to be tested. If any of you out there have any ideas on how to tell my parents, then that'd be great. Thanks for any advice.

i feel like i just read a post about myself. i have the EXACT same story as you. please read my thread i just made and tell me how many of the symptoms we share. id realllllly appreciate it if you did. i went into great detail in my post of many of the things i do that make me think i have adhd

Asylum
May 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
go see a doctor, they can help you. if so even give you meds to focus better. good luck,hope everything goes well for you in the future. i know its hard what you are going through, PM me if you need me :) take care