PDA

View Full Version : i read bipolar could be genetic :/

georgiamay
February 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
i have no idea if its true or not, but i read on a website that bipolar could be genetic is this true? my mum and nan both have it :/ i go through stages of either being really hyper, or really depressed, and each stage lasts about a couple of weeks. could i have bipolar?

my mum became an alchoholic after she had me, and my nan did aswell when she had my mum, but i've seen what alcholism can do to a family, and i'm determined not to get a drinking problem, but i'm scared that if i have bipolar, i might not be able to help it :/

or am i just being stupid and worrying too much? :confused:

Obscene Eyedeas
February 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Bipolar is genetic but just because your bipolar does not mean you will develop a drinking problem. that is your own choice and im glad to see you making the right one

Sapphire
February 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
The cause of bipolar disorder is, as is always the case with mental illnesses, complicated.

There is a strong genetic component to it but there are other things that factor into it as well. Just because you share your mums genes does not mean you will develop this disorder.
The current view is that the development of bipolar is that there is no single cause and that it is due to an interaction between your biology (genetics, biochemistry etc) and your environment.

If you want to improve your chances of not developing it, I would advise you ensure that you lead a healthy lifestyle (regular sleeping patterns, proper eating habits etc) which includes having healthy ways in which you deal with negative emotions and situations (exercise, good support system, social life).

Maybe talking with your mum about the disorder will help ease your fears?