PDA

View Full Version : what is OCD

laurita_21
February 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
hello :)
I'm just wondering about OCD.
but I don't know much about it, and I still don't understand it very well.
well I probably got the wrong idea.
So what does it make you do or act like ?
what does OCD stand for ?
If you have anything to post about OCD please do :)

Nihilus
February 18th, 2010, 04:10 AM
"Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). The symptoms of this anxiety disorder range from repetitive hand-washing and extensive hoarding to preoccupation with sexual, religious, or aggressive impulses. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and economic loss. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and come across to others as psychotic. However, except in some severe cases, OCD sufferers generally recognize their thoughts and subsequent actions as irrational, and they may become further distressed by this realization."(wikipedia)

BeautifulDisaster
February 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I've had it for many years now.

Very disabling.

It's classed as an anxiety disorder, but it also has evidence of being down to a chemical imbalance in the brain.

It is commonly treated with SSRI's, Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Exposure and Response prevention therapy, and other different types of therapies, and also anti anxiety medications or sedatives if the anxiety and distress it causes is that severe.

I've found OCD can also be a cause of other issues(like Depression or another anxiety disorder)

There can be cases in which it's just "Pure O" ie; only obsessions, this can be extremely distressing, it includes distressing thoughts, images, impulses, etc, and intrusive ones too.

It can vary in severity, the obsessions and/or compulsions can also vary in both frequency and what they are about.

It's quite a complex disorder, and for each individual, it is different, both in how they are affected, and how treatment will go for them.

If you want anymore information, just PM me.

I also think this should be moved to the OCD part of the forum.

Have a good day.

laurita_21
February 18th, 2010, 04:15 AM
thank you both for posting :) I gess thats all i needed to know ! xx

Patchy
February 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM
We actually have a section on OCD, moved to OCD in the mental illnesses section.