PDA

View Full Version : A kid that I take care of...

Lord C
November 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I saw this and thought I could probably get some really good advice here. I'm a voluntary beaver leader, it helps me get Duke Of Edinburgh stuff (if you don't know about that then just forget it :lol:). Anyway, the beavers is like scouts for 4-7 years olds and this new kid joined (I'd say he's about 5) and I was told by the Head Leader that he has ADHD. None of us really know how to deal with it that well as we're not qualified to that level. His main problems are not being able to sit still (which isn't really a problem because it's not distracting for the other kids or anything) and not being able to be quiet, which is a problem. I treat him how I treat the other kids when they talk because I don't know how to deal with it. Has anyone got any advice? I just want to make him a bit more comfortable but making it enjoyable for the other kids who have started to complain (these kids are very young remember, they don't understand ADHD)

Thanks alot.

SmileyGirl
January 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Gee...that's a tough one. I'd say make sure that (If its up to you) that most of the activites don't require a lot of sitting still. In fact make the activities physical things so that he can burn off some energy.
But I'm not sure.

Charizard8
February 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM
thats nice of you to volunteer:what::yeah::what:

Mattasaur94
February 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Well, it really depends on the sorts of activities you do with the kids.
I have a group of year 7's for Peer Support (Nwaaah!) but i think a bunch of 4-7 year olds would be hard. Uhm, before I say anything else, what sorts of activities do you do now with the kids, exactly?

ADDED: Also, have you been able to talk with the child's parents? You'd need to discuss what he eats at home, things/orders in which the parents do things with him, is he on medication? "bad" days and "good" days, different things they find that help?
Talking to his parents would make an incredible difference. Other than that, for now, get to know the child, become his friend, offer activities for ALL of the "students" that kind of, tap into, their creative mind/sight.
Their only young, so, their imagination would be incredible. ^^

I read that, with an ADHD child, amongst a normal class, try not to single him out, talk to him as you would the others, but be more tolerant, be understanding. Teach abstract ideas concretely and contextually. Allow a type of hands on instruction when possible.

I can talk to some people I know that could give me more useful information if you'd like. =)