PDA

View Full Version : Help

beedubs
November 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Ok my boyfriend just told me he was bipolar. Now i dont have that much knowlage on this and im not sure if theres a way i can help him. He also has depression and sometime thinks about cutting and suiside. He already sees someone for this and his mom knows. I told him that idk what i would do without him and he told me he wont do anything. But i just dont know if theres something i can do to help.

Syvelocin
November 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hate to say it, but there isn't much you can do physically as long as he is getting help. Yet one of the most important things for someone with bipolar disorder is to have someone truly there for him. When you ask if he's okay, and he says he's fine, don't take it and go on. Do everything in your power to make him feel loved.

From experience, this is everything I would wish for, being bipolar and a self-injurer. It's always the helplessness and loneliness that gets me, and many of my friends with the disorder.

Best wishes for both of you.

Kaleidoscope Eyes
November 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Just treat him normally, don't let this change the way you see him or the relationship. Be understanding as much as you can, but don't feel like you need to walk on eggshells around him now or anything like that. He's still the same guy; he was bipolar before you knew about it, and he's not any different now that you do know.

There's a sticky here (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13605) with some basic info, and feel free to do your own google searches to get a feel for what the disorder really is. Everyone is different, though, so you're just going to have to learn through experience how the disorder affects him. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd be glad to answer any questions you have. Being bipolar myself, I can say that I much prefer that someone just ask me about it. You don't need to be afraid to mention it.

When you ask if he's okay, and he says he's fine, don't take it and go on.

This is good advice, but I'd like to say: don't push it too far either, though. xP I don't know how long the two of you have been together, but at some point you'll be able to tell usually if he's really ok or not. When you don't think he is, feel free to gently remind him that you're there if he wants to talk, but don't push it. If he doesn't want to talk, he doesn't want to talk, and nothing is more irritating than someone who finds out that you're bipolar and starts constantly asking if you're ok. Use your judgment, I guess is what I'm advising.

Beautiful Obsession
January 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well, Theres not really a great much you can do to help him, except be there for him when he needs you, that will help him alot. If he knows that hes got somebody there for him and who he can talk to it should help him deal with the illness more, x