PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what to do...

apryl
October 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm about 90% sure I have bipolar
I was diagnosed as having depression but they weren't sure about the bipolar yet
They put me on citalopram for depression, but it isn't helping me at all. I've been on it for about 2 or 3 months I think.
I don't know how to tell my parents that the citalopram isn't helping and that I think I'm bipolar, not just depressed
It would seem easy to tell them because my mom has depression and my dad has bipolar and they're both on meds, but I just don't know how
My mood swings are driving me to the brink of insanity
I have also been a cutter for about a year and a half, or to years

Kaleidoscope Eyes
October 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Just come out and say it. You can talk either to your parents or to your doctor the next time you see them, but you need to say something.

If your meds aren't working, especially if you feel like they're making it worse, you have t speak up so that a change can be made. It's useless to keep you on meds that don't do anything for you, and after waiting a few months it's definitely time to say something.

Whether you suffer from depression or if there might be some bipolar in there, antidepressants are going to be key as far as pharmaceutical intervention goes, so you need to find one that helps.

Start with the antidepressants, find one that helps you out, and then see about which symptoms are changing. I assume you're seeing a therapist to talk this stuff out with? If not, find one. It'll help, because medication alone just isn't going to be enough.

I started out with a depression diagnosis myself, and after a year of therapy and antidepressants, I was diagnosed as being bipolar. With the bulk of the depression symptoms starting to work themselves out, other symptoms became more noticeable and indicated that there was more going on.

Give the diagnosis some time, and keep an eye on your symptoms. Most importantly, though, tell someone that the citalopram isn't working and see what your other options are.

Good luck. :)