PDA

View Full Version : Bipolarism inherited?

Guillermo
September 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well just today my doctor diagnosed me with having the bipolar disorder. he also said that this was most likely inherited from my family. can the bipolar disorder be inherited???

Deschain
September 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I think I heard that in a documentary somewhere.

INFERNO
September 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You cannot inherit bipolar disorder, even if both of your parents have it. The reason for this is that it would constitute the idea of nurture and your environment having no effect, which would be incorrect. You can, however, inherit a predisposition to it and depending on how things play out, such as your environment, you may develop it.

Doctors may say that you inherit it because it's a much simpler explanation than trying to explain to you what I have said above.

Triceratops
September 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
It is estimated that over two-thirds of bipolar sufferers have at least one relative with the disorder or depression itself, showing that it can be hereditory.

Remember, this isn't strictly the case for each and every bipolar sufferer.

apryl
October 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure you can inheret bipolar
I would know. I have it, my dad has it(my mom has depression), my uncle might have it too, same with my grandpa

Zephyr
October 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
We just went over this in my Abnormal Psychology class actually.
Yes, it can be 'inherited', but...
It's a combination of genetics and your environment for the most part.

Like Inferno said, you can have the predisposition for it.
You can have the 'gene', and it could never pop up.
Conversely, something in your environment can trigger it,
For example, it's usually major life stressors that will trigger it,
And it can surface.

Just because a family member has it, doesn't always mean that you automatically will get it yourself though.

supernova65
October 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Well just today my doctor diagnosed me with having the bipolar disorder. he also said that this was most likely inherited from my family. can the bipolar disorder be inherited???

idk but i have bipolar disorder diagnosed by my doctor and she told me if u have a one parent with it the chances of u having it is 50% but if u have 2 parents with the disorder the chance jumps up to 90% and i have 2 parents with it so yeah.....

Lily of the Valley
October 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Most psychologists agree that Bipolar Disorder has a tendency for inheritance, as well as other Type 1 disorders. Of course, as has been stated, it's not guaranteed that a person with a long family history of it will end up with it, nor is it guaranteed a person without any family history won't have it.

Psychological disorders kind of suck in that ninja sorta way.

~Maggot