PDA

View Full Version : Could i have bipolar?

Harley Quinn
September 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My mum has it and its really bad, she can go for days when she is really happy and then all of a sudden she had a downward spiral and gets really depressed and emotional. She was on some meds called olanzipine (sp) which helped her with the depressed side of the illness. But i was just wondering can i inherit it, my friend said something could trigger it off but it just hasnt happened.
I have most Of the symptons but i dont know. The high side is i can stay up for around 4 days and not feel tired, the low side is that i get very low and teary and everything. Could i have bipolar?

Zephyr
September 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Could be Bipolar, could just be hormones.
We can't diagnose you hun,
But if you do think that it may be a serious problem,
I urge that you talk to you mum about it,
And see a psychiatrist or a doctor.

Mental disorders can be inherited.

dyslexiaa
September 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Olanzapine is used to treat the mania phase of bipolar disorder type 1 which if you have, you'll generally find out at a hospital because of a severe manic episode. It sounds like you're more a bipolar type 2/depression person so it's not uncommon to experience long phases of depression before reaching a manic mood.

As far as triggers go, they can be situational or biological. When/If you're being diagnosed, the first things your doctors will try to do is find your triggers and assess what your reactions are. If you struggle to find them, you'll probably know it's a biological thing.

See a doctor as soon as you can if you think you need to. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Lost and Confused1
October 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM
It can be inherited. So there is a possibility, however, Bi-polar is hard to diagnose, so you would need to be completely honest with your doctor. My doctor at first just told me that I was depressed. Until things got worse. I didn't tell him everything that I was feeling. So what I would do, is write down all your symptoms etc.. Then go talk to him about it. As Stephanie mentioned, we can't diagnose you as we aren't medical professionals. Good luck.

BuryYourFlame
October 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Old thread. Siobhan, if you still want this thread open PM me or another Psych Ward mod.

Locking.