PDA

View Full Version : No one TELLS me anything =P

Syvelocin
September 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
So, while I was still in the hospital, they put me on three medications, wellbutrin, limictal, and seroquel. They don't tell me anything further than "your doctor prescribed them for you." So I have no clue what each is for, but I take them as directed, you know. Though of course wellbutrin was the anti-depressant, and all I knew about seroquel was that it made me extremely sleepy, so I assumed that was it's purpose since I possibly have two separate sleep disorders.

Then, a few weeks later I have my out-patient therapy session, and my mother decides to finally tell me why I'm taking limictal. So, for THREE WEEKS no one bothered to tell me that I had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Is it really better to not tell me that I inherited all my mother's mental disorders?

I dunno, I'm still pretty angry about it. Both that my mother said nothing, that my doctor didn't bring it up either, and that I am bipolar in general. *sigh* Why is it always me with problems?

Triceratops
September 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Statistics indicate that over two-thirds of bipolar sufferers have at least one relative with the disorder or depression itself, showing that it can be hereditory.

I can understand why you're annoyed. If it were me in your shoes, the fact that nobody mentioned I had the condition for that amount of time would make me quite angry as well. In my opinion, they should of told you sooner. Although they may have felt the time they decided to tell was the time they thought was best and when they were most ready to confess.

Don't worry, you're not alone. We here all have something in our lives we get emotional and frustrated over, that's why we try as best as we can to help. :)

Zephyr
September 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm Bipolar myself and and am on Welbutrin and Seroquel.

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic,
Welbutrin is an anti-depressant,
After looking up Lamictal, it helps with mood stabilization with Bipolar 1.
Keep in mind, they're treating your symptoms, not the disorder.

For more information,
You can go to www.rxlist.com (www.rxlist.com)and look them up.

Mental disorders, unfortunately, can be hereditary. Especially if an immediate family member has it. It seems unfair to inherit these 'problems', but once you learn how to effectively manage it, they may reduce or take out some of the medications.

As Marcie said, it's understandable that you're irritated that nobody told you what was going on. But they have your best interest at heart. You should try bringing the subject up with your mum and doctor, communication is very effective when it comes to mental disorders that way you can learn more about what's going on, build up a support system of family and friends and learn of effective ways to cope when you get triggered into a manic or depressive state.

kika12
September 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
i can understand why you are angry your mom should tell when she now maybe you can ask tou your mom and doctor about the meds .

Kaleidoscope Eyes
September 5th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Great info, Steph.

I'm on Lamictal, myself, and can say a little more about it. It's an anti-convulsant, actually, but it's used off-label to treat bipolar disorder as a mood stabilizer.

I'm disappointed that your doctor wouldn't tell you anything. Obviously the important thing is that you get better, which is going to require keeping up with your meds, but I can imagine you wouldnt feel so comfortable takig them without knowing what they were. I'm also disappointed that they didn't tell YOU the diagnosis. You're the one suffering, makes sense that you might want to know if they've figured out why. I know it was a major relief for me to know that there really was a reason why I felt so crazy, why my depression treatment wasn't enough, and there was more we could do to help me feel better again.

Next time you see your therapist, and next time you see the doctor who prescribes your meds (if they're not the same person), ask about being kept in the loop more, and about why you weren't informed in the first place. You're important, and you shouldn't have to feel like things are being done behind your back without your permission. You won't feel better very fast if you don't feel like you can trust your doctors, that's an important part of the relationship. :)