PDA

View Full Version : Hard to understand...

The Wallflower
June 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM
:whoops: Hello, I'm new here. I just found this website and am hoping that it's as helpful as it seems. I have only told certain people about having OCD. My family and and a few friends. My friends always say the same thing when I tell them "So like you wash your hands alot?" It's not always that simple. Some people's symptoms are complicated. Mine for instance became serious about two years ago. I'll try to explain. I would see a word, just any random word, take the first and last letter's of that word and count from the first letter to the second one. It's quite strange and hard to explain. Take the word "Forum" for example. I would take the letter F and the letter M and count from F to M. Since F is the 6th number of the alphabet and M is the 13th. I would count from F to M. Which gives me 8. Then I'd take the word "Eight" and count from E to T. So on and so forth. I'm sorry. I know I'm a freak. I 'm not trying to confuse anyone. I just want to talk to people who understand where I'm coming from...

Requin
June 28th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Your not a freak. I know there isn't really a question here but I just wanted to say that.

If you have a disorder of some sort, you can't think of yourself as being a freak or an outcast of any sort. In fact I believe there was a book about this type of disorder that you have. It focused on the numbers thing anyway..

But you can get help with that. Not just on here, which I'm sure you'll come to like as there are many people who share your problem. :)

Triceratops
June 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM
You are not a freak, at all. So there's no need for an apology there. :)

You're right, a lot of symptoms seem quite straight-forward but some others are a lot more complicated.

I understand where you're coming from, and honestly I've never come across that ritual myself, but there may be others like you somewhere. I have OCD as well, my symptoms become easier to deal with as I grow older though, but in my earlier childhood (ages 5-10 years) they were pretty serious. If you try to refrain from doing these actions, do you get stressed and frustrated to the point where it's quite extreme and unbearable?

May I ask, are you currently recieving therapy sessions of the sort?

Deschain
June 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I have OCD, I think. I always count my steps. In multiples of three. Is that OCD? Because I do it everytime I walk

Triceratops
June 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have OCD, I think. I always count my steps. In multiples of three. Is that OCD? Because I do it everytime I walk

Well we can't diagnose you with anything through an internet forum, and we are not professional psychiatrists here.

However, it sounds like a symptom/trait of OCD. Although many of us have similar traits that may link to OCD.

Deschain
June 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Yes master.
Thanks Marshki :P

The Wallflower
June 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
You are not a freak, at all. So there's no need for an apology there. :)

You're right, a lot of symptoms seem quite straight-forward but some others are a lot more complicated.

I understand where you're coming from, and honestly I've never come across that ritual myself, but there may be others like you somewhere. I have OCD as well, my symptoms become easier to deal with as I grow older though, but in my earlier childhood (ages 5-10 years) they were pretty serious. If you try to refrain from doing these actions, do you get stressed and frustrated to the point where it's quite extreme and unbearable?

May I ask, are you currently recieving therapy sessions of the sort?

Yes I currently have a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I become extremely frustrated when I can't concentrate. Sometimes I count on my fingers and mumble the numbers and people see me. They think I'm crazy! It has bothered me for a really long time. One teacher saw me doing it and yelled at me in front of everyone saying that what I was doing was weird and not normal. Everyone thought I was a freak. Whatever... I just don;t want people to see me as that chick with OCD. So I just hide it. But when I hide it and they see me mumbling they figure something's wrong with me. I haven't told any teachers about it. Is that a problem?

Triceratops
June 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yes I currently have a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I become extremely frustrated when I can't concentrate. Sometimes I count on my fingers and mumble the numbers and people see me. They think I'm crazy! It has bothered me for a really long time. One teacher saw me doing it and yelled at me in front of everyone saying that what I was doing was weird and not normal. Everyone thought I was a freak. Whatever... I just don;t want people to see me as that chick with OCD. So I just hide it. But when I hide it and they see me mumbling they figure something's wrong with me. I haven't told any teachers about it. Is that a problem?

Oh, I see. I don't think it's a huge problem if all your teachers don't know about it, but I guess if it's teachers like that who yell at you then I think you could maybe pull them aside after class and tell them about your OCD confidentially. As long as your parents are aware of your OCD and you are recieving professional help then I don't think many other people are in desperate need of knowing.

IAMSAM
June 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with MMMMMMMMMarcie (who's face is like a painting!) and Clint Eastwood here, as I always do :)

You're not a 'freak' for having OCD (or anything, ftm), it's really part of the human condition, everyone has *something*, and OCD is your 'thing'. But, you are much more than that, you are not defined by any one particular thing, be it good or not so good.

Continue working in treatment with your docs, and learn ways of coping with the symptoms when they come up. I understand why you'd not want to have them and risk exposing that part of yourself in school, so it might be best to learn ways of recognizing those situations (or feelings) that trigger some of the outward signs, so you can then take steps to 'internalize' whatver you often might do that exposes the OCD.

You're on the right track here, if you need more, we here to help.

SegundoTJ
January 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Im not sure if any of you know but A&E is casting for their second season of "Obsessed" which gives 12-16 weeks of free professional therapy to those with OCD and anxiety disorders. It shows the truth about OCD and really helps people change their lives. You can email [email protected] for more info.