PDA

View Full Version : MPD or Schizophrenia?

Agateophilia
June 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I'm 14, and I've been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder, Depression, ADD, ADHD, OCD, and ODD. ;(
I was suspended two times, and soon expelled, from my elementary school for threatening to kill a group of students, because I thought they were going to hurt me. I always thought I was the misfit, and everyone disliked me. I got teased in school, and I was always the shy one who hid and cried for hours. But if someone got me mad, I would turn into someone else. My mom even thinks I might have MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder).

I have major sleeping issues. If I'm up late, just staring at a wall or something in a room, I see random things falling from the ceiling. Like wooden tables, lamps, bowls, pans, toys, and once even a baby. I've hurt myself a couple times by scratching and cutting myself with scissors. I think of such weird things, when I'm doing nothing. I have so much trouble making and keeping my friends, because I'm so withdrawn. If I get annoyed or upset, I'll either go crazy, or ignore everything people say to me. I'm pretty persuasive, a counselor at my school sent me to a mental hospital, and I talked my way out of it.

I've never smoked a cigarette, or done any drugs, but I've always thought about doing everything. Maybe even making my own drug. I'm getting worse every day, and it's pretty much taking over my life.

INFERNO
June 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not entirely sure I believe you and your diagnosis, which to me seems like a self-diagnosis. For one, ADD and ADHD are the exact same disorder. Some doctors may stick with the older term of ADD but listing them as though they were different disorders is complete nonsense.

With ODD, losing your temper and getting angry is a big part of it so I'm not sure why your mother is thinking MPD (currently called DID in the DSM-IV-TR). But to re-assure you, DID needs at least two personality states or alters, whereas you only describe having one. However, a criteria for ODD is that it cannot be due to depression and some other disorders. That does not mean you cannot also have depression but just ODD cannot be due to the depression.

Bipolar disorder requires you to have depression and some form of mania or hypomania, so saying you have bipolar disorder and depression (which I presume is major depression as that is usually what it is referred to as) is redundant and silly to list them separately.

As you're describing hallucinations, either that can be due to bipolar disorder with psychosis or another disorder altogether.

If you're worried or your mother is worried or both, then you can get a screening for DID, which is the SCID-D.

Agateophilia
June 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Ooh. Okay. I wasn't sure if ADD and ADHD were different or not, haha. Thanks.

IAMSAM
June 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Like INFERNO, I have to doubt you have all those ailments. For your sake!

However, what you're describing sounds a bit extreme and worthy of further assessment and treatment. Rather than figure out yourself what you've got, it might be best to have your mom take you to a qualified psychologist or other mental health professional for a thorought eval. From that, can come an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan to address *whatever* ails you.

megan101
July 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
you have to be atleast 17 to be diganosed with any personality disorder or schitzophrenia, you might have paranoid hallucination syndrome which is what i have, do you feel watched or hear voices telling you to kill yourslef nd such things, do u feel like you are looking through the world out of a glass glode or simaler ?

Agent
July 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
You must be joking. I know a guy who is 14 and he is diagnosed with narsism, which is a personality disorder.

Sapphire
July 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
You must be joking. I know a guy who is 14 and he is diagnosed with narsism, which is a personality disorder.
Lol. He's probably just quite narcissistic.
It isn't possible (as has already been stated) to have a personality disorder before you reach adulthood because your personality is still developing.

INFERNO
July 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Seeing as how he is not old enough to be officially diagnosed, I don't buy it. The person may exhibit the symptoms of it already but he certainly would not be old enough for it.

Agent
July 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Oh, I didnīt know that:eek: I thought that personality disorders can be diagnosed for anyone. Sorry, my bad.

So, is it the same thing with schizophrenia that you must be old enough to be diagnosed? If so, what would happen if like a 12 year old boy would start having extreme symptoms of schizophrenia? Would he be let unmedicated/untreated, because he canīt be diagnosed?

Truth
July 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Oh, I didnīt know that:eek: I thought that personality disorders can be diagnosed for anyone. Sorry, my bad.

So, is it the same thing with schizophrenia that you must be old enough to be diagnosed? If so, what would happen if like a 12 year old boy would start having extreme symptoms of schizophrenia? Would he be let unmedicated/untreated, because he canīt be diagnosed? Im not sure why you have to be '17' to be diagnosed, while so many people are diagnosed by professionals, that i know, and are under 17. In my opinion, it's BS, or it would be like that everywhere. Am i not correct, or is it only like that in some places, cause i know it sure aint where i live, and for alot of people.

Also.. isn't this thread, abit old?

Sapphire
July 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Personality disorders require the individual to be over 18 years old because it is a widely held view that our personalities are still developing in our teenage years. This is the same everywhere you go.

Schizophrenia doesn't have an age limit like personality disorders do. Onset is typically in the late teens but there are cases of much earlier onset.

Triceratops
July 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Personality disorders require the individual to be over 18 years old because it is a widely held view that our personalities are still developing in our teenage years. This is the same everywhere you go.

Schizophrenia doesn't have an age limit like personality disorders do. Onset is typically in the late teens but there are cases of much earlier onset.

QFT.

The average age range for developing schizophrenia in males is approximately between 15-21 whereas in females it is 25-29. This can all vary though. Not every male or female develops scizophrenia within that mentioned age range.

Schizophrenia in children is very rare. In adults it affects 1 in 100, but in children it affects around 1 in 40,000. The behaviour of a child with schizophrenia may be different and will vary to an adult with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia in children is often mistaken and confused with other conditions such as Autism.

JunkBondTrader
July 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Not quite, that's just Antisocial Personality Disorder. If someone has a copy of the DSM-IV-TR please correct me but my (older) copy of DSM IV ststes "Personality disorder categories may be applied to children or adolescents in those relatively unusual instances in which the individual's particular maladaptive personality traits appear to be pervasive, persistent and unlikely to be limited to a particular developmental stage of an episode of an Axis I disorder."

So from what I understand, they can be diagnosed with the exception of antisocial personality disorder.

INFERNO
July 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Im not sure why you have to be '17' to be diagnosed, while so many people are diagnosed by professionals, that i know, and are under 17. In my opinion, it's BS, or it would be like that everywhere. Am i not correct, or is it only like that in some places, cause i know it sure aint where i live, and for alot of people.

Also.. isn't this thread, abit old?

Personality disorders are Axis II whereas most others are Axis I disorders. The reason for it is that at around age 18 or so, your personality is more firmly established, whereas at a younger age, it is not as established.

Not quite, that's just Antisocial Personality Disorder. If someone has a copy of the DSM-IV-TR please correct me but my (older) copy of DSM IV ststes "Personality disorder categories may be applied to children or adolescents in those relatively unusual instances in which the individual's particular maladaptive personality traits appear to be pervasive, persistent and unlikely to be limited to a particular developmental stage of an episode of an Axis I disorder."

So from what I understand, they can be diagnosed with the exception of antisocial personality disorder.

Narcissistic personality disorder states that by "early adulthood", which is around 17-18 years old. Others may be able to be diagnosed earlier but I assume most clinicians would wait until the patients are older.

Sapphire
July 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Trust me, it is applicable to all personality disorders - not just one.
A doctor can diagnose a minor (someone under 18 years old) with having traits of a particular personality disorder but it is widely understood that this doesn't mean they have the full blown disorder nor that they are guaranteed to develop it.

JunkBondTrader
July 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Trust me, it is applicable to all personality disorders - not just one.
A doctor can diagnose a minor (someone under 18 years old) with having traits of a particular personality disorder but it is widely understood that this doesn't mean they have the full blown disorder nor that they are guaranteed to develop it.

I understand what your saying but I do think it's at least possible for someone under 18 years to be diagnosed with a personality disorder because APD is the only one which the DSM explicitely states cannot be diagnosed in anyone under 18 which leads me to believe that others can. Of course I could be completely wrong on this and just misinterpreting the DSM.

Sapphire
July 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I understand what your saying but I do think it's at least possible for someone under 18 years to be diagnosed with a personality disorder because APD is the only one which the DSM explicitely states cannot be diagnosed in anyone under 18 which leads me to believe that others can. Of course I could be completely wrong on this and just misinterpreting the DSM.Personality disorders require a long standing and enduring pattern of behaviours. However, during adolescence the personality is still being developed as outlined by many psychologists (e.g. Erikson).

Also this site (http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/information/mental-health-a-z/personality-disorders/) clearly states that

Most often the first signs of a personality disorder appear in late childhood or adolescence and continue during adulthood.
Personality disorders in children or adolescence are sometimes described as conduct disorders. However most conduct disorders in children do not necessarily lead to personality disorders in adults.

So, clearly to be sure one must wait until the individual reaches adulthood before giving a diagnosis of a personality disorder.

INFERNO
July 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I understand what your saying but I do think it's at least possible for someone under 18 years to be diagnosed with a personality disorder because APD is the only one which the DSM explicitely states cannot be diagnosed in anyone under 18 which leads me to believe that others can. Of course I could be completely wrong on this and just misinterpreting the DSM.

I guess you ignored the part of where I mentioned that narcissistic personality disorder states by "early adulthood". For the other personality disorders, yes it is possible to diagnose a person under the age of 18, however, it is likely that it will not occur because their personality according to various theories is not fully developed.

You and Sapphire are both correct. If you adhere to the DSM-IV or DSM-IV-TR whilst ignoring other psychological theories, then you are somewhat correct. Sapphire is also correct because he is acknowledging the various psychological theories regarding the development of the personality (and its disorders). So this boils down to looking at the DSM-IV(-TR) alone vs. looking at the DSM-IV(-TR) and other psychological theories.

JunkBondTrader
July 19th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I may have got my point across quite badly. I'm not saying that personality disorders are frequently diagnosed in children and adolescents nor am I saying that they should be. I'm just saying that it's at least possible and it does happen at least occasionaly in cases where the maladaptive personality traits dominate the individuals personality.

As for what you said about narcissistic personality disorder, yes, it develops by early adulthood and no, no good mental health professional would make a diagnosis of it in someone younger. I'm just saying that there's nothing which explicitely states one can't.

Sorry for dragging this thread off-topic.

IAMSAM
July 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The purpose if diagnosis is the accurate assessment and treatment of any disorder, AND to provide a common understanding amongst clinicians of any particular disorder.

Personality is something that evolves over time, it's like a seed in the ground. So, although most mental health professionals realize that, unlike full blown syndromes (Axis I), personality disorders (Axis II) take some time to develop and blossom. However, they donlt appear suddenly and out of no where, as Axis I can. So, most professionals will talk about the 'green shoots' of Axis II, as 'emerging' or 'traits'. This allows more precise descriptions of the *issues* being addressed or influencing the problems the person might be experiencing.

I'm at a bit of a loss about what you guys are arguing over or what your point is. Personality develops over time, you don't need to hit some arbitrary age to have some characteristics that to some extent or another interfere with life, regardless if they're 'diagnosed' or not. What's treated are the symptoms, the behavioral manifestations, anyways.

Sapphire
July 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What's treated are the symptoms, the behavioral manifestations, anyways.
If at all...