PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

PowerShift
June 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
What is Schizophrenia? give me your definitions of this word.

millymollymandy
June 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM
a mental disorder characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality, the distortions may effect you in many ways, vis your 5 senses- it can cause hallunications, paranoia or bizarre delusions, difficulty in speech etc...
This disorder can start at any time, but usually around young adulthood

INFERNO
June 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
What is Schizophrenia? give me your definitions of this word.

It was used to initially mean "split-personality" or along those lines. It involves physical brain changes which can be seen via MRIs, PETs, etc... . The brain changes vary from person to person and range in severity. There is some changes characteristic for a certain gender but they can overlap quite a lot.

They can cause catatonic behavior, negative and positive symptoms, disorganized speech and behavior, etc... . It can resemble other disorders and you can get drug-induced psychosis which can resemble some of the schizophrenic-like symptoms.

It can affect your social interaction with others and can impair your functioning at school, college/university and at a job.

It can follow a certain pattern and you can be in remission of it. It can be controlled (partially) by medications but not always.

That's it in a nutshell, do you want to know something in particular?

Triceratops
July 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
^ They pretty much covered most of the basics.

Schizophrenia is a chronic psychological disorder with a range of symptoms. These can differ from hallucinations and delusions which are commonly referred to as indications of psychosis, or crazed symptoms.

It was used to initially mean "split-personality" or along those lines. It involves physical brain changes which can be seen via MRIs, PETs, etc... . The brain changes vary from person to person and range in severity. There is some changes characteristic for a certain gender but they can overlap quite a lot.

Many hold misconceptions of schizophrenia, including the time when people thought schizophrenia meant a split personalitiy. It makes more sense to say that schizophrenics are people who experience dysfunctions and disorder in their mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, I found that part out on a TV documentary.

The disorder effects both men and women equally, although men are effected by it at an earlier age than women are, usually. They vary in severity within different people whatever their gender is.

INFERNO
July 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Many hold misconceptions of schizophrenia, including the time when people thought schizophrenia meant a split personalitiy. It makes more sense to say that schizophrenics are people who experience dysfunctions and disorder in their mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, I found that part out on a TV documentary.

People still do think it means split personality. They experience dysfunctions in their mind as well as in their social life and other areas of their life.

IAMSAM
July 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If you want the definition of schizophrenia, you might try goooogling it.

But, Inferno and MMMMarcie got the basics here (as they usually do). Let me add some things, since I suspect what might be motivating you is a belief or concern that you might be schizophrenic.

First, schizophrenia is rare, the actual numbers are somewhere around 3% of the population. So, if we do the math, there's a 97% chance that whatever is going on for you is NOT schizophrenia. The chances are greater if you have a blood relative with the disorder, however, as it tends to run in families.

Schizophrenia is NOT a 'Split personality'. Personality is a relatively stable, enduring mental construct that results from one's life experiences with a touch of genetics. Schizophrenia is a mental illness that is caused by a biochemical disorder in the brain. The 'split' is with reality, the ability to accurately percieve, make sense of, and respond appropriately to the demands of the real world. Likewise, there is a bizarreness to thought, and a grossly inappropriate quality to emotional expression. Many 'Street people' in large cities who you see being disheveled and pushing all their worldly possessions in a shopping cart, occaisionally shouting at stop signs are deinstitutionalized schizophrenics. I use this example only to illustrate what a 'typical' untreated schizophrenic looks like, the illness interferes massively with functioning.

There is currently no 'cure' for schizophrenia, although many of the more obnoxious symptoms can be minimized with medication.