PDA

View Full Version : is it that big of a deal??

ThUnDeR
May 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM
like some poeple act like having adhd is like bad but i have it and i really dont see how much different i am from other people wen im on my meds. but when im not all i am is a little hyper and its hard for me to concentrate but i mean its not that big of a deal
i just dont get why people act like it is soo bad????

Jman35
May 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Some people make a huge deal about it because they think it's like a huge mental disorder, and they think it makes you dumb or it's equal to down syndrome or something. People who make it a big deal, have no clue what it is.

ThUnDeR
May 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Some people make a huge deal about it because they think it's like a huge mental disorder, and they think it makes you dumb or it's equal to down syndrome or something. People who make it a big deal, have no clue what it is.

yeaa i agree with that 100%
thanks

PrincessSarey
May 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM
You may have a milder case of it, some who have it severely > yes, it is a big deal. Things are diagnosed because they interfere with your life, which makes it a big deal. I have ADHD and I'd say mine is quite bad, I would say ADHD has it's flaws, many, but it also has it's gifts. I don't take meds, have done, but don't plan to again. I cope in other ways, I struggle a lot, but yeah. It is a big deal for many, because it affects them a lot, and their life.

Dreaming Cannibal
May 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
what's ADHD?

ThUnDeR
May 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
what's ADHD?

ADHD

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD or ADHD) is a neurobehavioral[1] developmental disorder.[2] It is the most commonly diagnosed psychiatric disorder in children affecting about 3 to 5% of children globally with symptoms starting before seven years of age.[3][4] It is characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsiveness and inattention, with or without a component of hyperactivity.[5][6] ADHD is diagnosed twice as frequently in boys as in girls,[7] though studies suggest this discrepancy may be due to subjective bias.[8] ADHD is generally a chronic[9] disorder with 30 to 50% of those individuals diagnosed in childhood continuing to have symptoms into adulthood.[10][11] As they mature, adolescents and adults with ADHD are likely to develop coping mechanisms to compensate for their impairment.[12]

Though previously regarded as a childhood diagnosis, ADHD can continue throughout adulthood.[13] Four percent of American adults are estimated to live with ADHD. [14]

ADHD management usually involves some combination of medications, behavior modifications, life-style changes and counseling.

ADHD and its diagnosis and treatment have been considered controversial since the 1970s.[15][16][17][18] The controversies have involved clinicians, teachers, policymakers, parents and the media, with opinions regarding ADHD that range from not believing it exists at all to believing there are genetic and physiological bases for the condition and also include disagreement about the use of stimulant medications in treatment.[16] Most healthcare providers accept that ADHD is a genuine disorder with debate in the scientific community mainly around how it is diagnosed and treated.[19][20]

COurtsy too Wikipedia =]

Dreaming Cannibal
May 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM
wiki is the best ^_^

thanks… ^_^

Commander Thor
May 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I don't make a big deal about it, but it is a big deal for me. I CONSTANTLY have to be reminded to stay on task, my mind wanders alot. In fact, I have a SPED (Special Education) teacher assigned to me, to follow me class to class around school, to help me stay on task, and help me with my work (I also have several other mental disorders, if I just had ADHD, they wouldn't've assigned a SPED teacher to me.)
Kids who have a mild case, or don't even have ADHD at all, are the ones who usually make HUGE deals about it, blaming everything on their ADHD (Or lack there of), or feeling the need to let everyone know that they have ADHD and to stay out of their way, because they're coming through!

I don't take medication. Medication interferes with your ability to develop coping mechanisms.