View Full Version : Possible Manic Depressive?

May 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I get extremely depressed sometimes and then a few minutes later I can be extremely happy...it's like I seem to go from one extreme to the next...I'm just wondering if I could possibly have bipolar or something?

May 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
You could do, or it could just be the case that you feel depressed then just feel better afterwards.

Best thing you can do is to go see your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.

May 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
How do you tell your doctor about depression and stuff... I think it's going to be a hard thing for me to do?

May 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
How do you tell your doctor about depression and stuff... I think it's going to be a hard thing for me to do?

Yer it ccan be a pretty hard thing to do, I found it really hard when I first told my doctor about my depression.

What I found helps is just to basically try and get right to the point; just go in, explain what's wrong and just be honest so that your doctor can help to the best of their ability.

Like I've said it may seema bit difficult first time but it's well worth feeling a bit awkward for a few minutes if it means that your doctor can help you :)

May 22nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Heidi, typically the cycles between depression and mania are more than a few minutes, and the intensity of both are really disruptive.

However, we know you're going thru a lot of very intense emotional things, so it's understandable that your moods would change frequently and that those changes might be both uncontrollable and unsettling. Tell your therapist, just talk abiut how you've been feeling and what you've been expeiencing. Once you start talking, it comes out easier than you think.

May 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Going from happy to sad (or vice-versa) doesn't instantly mean you have bipolar or any disorder. You have to consider the social situations. If you're very stressed, have numerous things on your plate, teenage hormones exaggerating behaviors, etc..., then that does not necessarily mean the mood changes are due to bipolar disorder.

Go to a doctor and tell them of your symptoms (unless you're seeing a mental health professional already, in which case, tell them and in doing so, ignore the stuff in bold). The doctor, either a family doctor or simply a walk-in doctor, will typically refer you to a psychiatrist or possibly a crisis nurse which can get you to a psychiatrist. Although the doctor is a medical doctor, their specialty isn't with the mind and brain, so they refer you to someone who is. That psychiatrist will talk with you for a few sessions, possibly continue to see you on a regular basis, and you'll likely get medications, psychotherpy or both.

May 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I may not have bipolar...not sure...but I was just wondering if it could be possible that I have this because it seems like I have a lot of extreme highs and lows that will last for awhile...I will be really down for like a week at a time sometimes and then maybe I will get a couple good days...
I should probably go see a doctor about what's going on because things are just getting worse and worse...

May 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Having a couple of good days after a bad week isn't a surprising or pathological thing. In fact I would say that it is to be expected.

When you have these good days how do you feel in yourself? Happy, content and excitable?
What are your sleeping patterns like?

May 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I feel happy, content, excited when I have those days....I haven't really been able to sleep lately..

May 27th, 2009, 04:56 AM
You aren't bipolar. You just experience good days amongst the bad.

May 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well that's good to know.