PDA

View Full Version : The Starting Line (but is it the end?)

Generic269
May 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I went to see a doctor today and she is referring me onto a child & adolescent mental health place with the most likely reason schizophrenia.

It's hard enough for me as it is obviously, but now my parents' reactions are just making it a hell of a lot worse.

They're claiming I have demons in my head and don't want me to go to any more appointments. They believe the music I listen to and and stuff I watch on T.V. is welcoming evil spirits into my mind, totally ignoring the fact that I've been having some of these symptoms since I was 3.

They want me to go to a group of people with similar beliefs to theirs against my will so I don't have to be labelled a "psycho", and everything will be sorted before any therapy begins. They obviously don't want a mentally ill child.

They've told me not to tell anyone about it (probably so no-one else can offer me support).

Please help :cry:

INFERNO
May 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Your parents are entitled to their views regardless of what they may be. You can try explaining to them or getting information and showing it to them that it isn't "demons" be the cause.

Why not do both, go to their little group and go to the mental health place? Chances are, their little place isn't going to do any harm.

It's a big shame that they seem to be taking this view, however, as they are your legal guardians, you're more or less stuck with them. It does sound as though they want to keep it all hush-hush in the family, presumably due to stigmatization (even though they seem to be doing that also).

Agent
May 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Your parents believe in God, demons and etc.?

If I would tell my parents that I have a mental illness, I think they would blame the internet, games and movies. But they really donīt cause mental illnesses. Itīs just some stupid rumor that some "Mothers againsīt gaming" -group made up.

It must suck to have parents like that. Maybe they have schizophrenia too because they blame demons?

Generic269
May 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I may have over-exaggerated a bit there tbh...

The people came round and it went a lot better than I thought. My parents told me that I shouldn't go to the mental health place but instead get a second opinion, which I agree with.