PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with appearance?

ellenx3
May 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
i suffer from body dismorphobia and feel i have to look in the mirror 4 times look away and then do it all over again
does anyone else do this ?

Triceratops
May 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Apparently I have this "Body Dysmorphic Disorder" as my therapist diagnosed me with it a few years ago. I have become a lot better since, although I do still have my bad days - but lately I've been getting a whole lot better.

Body dysmorphic disorder sufferers imagine the "flaws" (which can be very minor or imaginary) on their appearance as 10 times worse than they actually are. They commonly spend around an hour on average looking at themselves in the mirror, compare themselves to others, examining certain parts of their face/body, constantly seeking reassurance from others, obsessing over things like plastic surgery, exercise, dieting etc.

Body dysmorphic disorder is commonly known for leading onto other things such as anorexia, bulimia, self-harm, depression and I hate to say this but some BDD sufferers have been known to commit suicide. Body dysmorphic disorder is chronic disorder.

However, there are ways to help treat this disorder such as a certain type of medication called "Serotonin reuptake inhibitors" or something like that...I'm not sure. But anyways these are antidepressants which will decrease the obsessive and compulsive behaviours body dysmorphic disorder sufferers get. Also, therapy helps a bunch as it helps you stop obsessing so much about the things body dysmorphic disorder sufferers worry/obsess about, using certain techniques. It also helps sufferers change their beliefs about their appearance.

So you are not alone, there are many people who suffer from it too.

INFERNO
May 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have heard of BDD and have a grandmother who has it. Generally, it is comorbid with depression and OCD, another anxiety disorder or possibly an eating disorder. In treating it, there are various routes, psychotherapy being a major one. For medications, they'd include anti-depressants (SSRIs, HCAs, etc... classes of them) and some anti-anxiety medications.

For her, she'd spend hours on end looking in mirrors, reflections off of pots, pans, etc..., calling everyone else beautiful then degrading herself, etc... .

Usually, people with BDD focus on their entire body but usually at least one area(s) that gets even more attention. So, for her, it was her face in general that she was very focused on, but also the rest of her body.

People with BDD are at a higher chance of engaging in self-harm or self-mutilation as a way to either cope or as a way to make themselves feel more attractive, a sort of home-made plastic surgery idea.