PDA

View Full Version : Hey there

PrincessSarey
April 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have ADHD and was diagnosed just a year ago.

It explains quite a lot to be honest!

I was tried on medications but I got extremely bad side effects, (I was only actually tried on one, ritalin and concerta)

I cope by myself right now. I don't want no pill to take everyday to be "normal". I don't wanna be normal. It's boring and dull. I'm me. :D

Zero Beat
April 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Good one u, all that matters is your happy :)

IAMSAM
April 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
You can still be you, but without the effects of ADHD! The meds you were on were both stimulants, there are others that work on ADHD, but without the side effects associated with stims. You might reconsider, and maybe find a doc who knows about them, too.

PrincessSarey
April 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Well, to be honest ADHD is part of me. So, I don't want a pill to remove who I am.

chucknorrisrules
April 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
You're proud of your ADHD?

That's good and bad.

Good because you're proud of yourself and that shows a good self-esteem, GOOD JOB!

Bad because you really don't want to embrace every part of yourself, especially something like ADHD.

Don't take this the wrong way.

PrincessSarey
April 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I neversaid I was proud of my ADHD, do not put words in my mouth.

I said I don't want to take a stupid pill to get rid of something that is PART of me.

Please do read next time.

IAMSAM
April 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Sarey, the issue isn't so much if it's a part of you or not, it's if it's a part of you that helps you in its current form.

And, if you've got real ADHD, the answer to that is "No". ADHD does get in the way, it prevents that other part of you from emerging, the one that can stay focused and pay attention, and learn as well as you can.

So, eventhough you might not like to take a pill to 'change' you, what it's actually doing is suppressing symptoms/problems that get in your way. You could say that by not doing so, you're 'changing' yourself more. And not for the better.

There are other non stim meds out there that can do this, without the side effects. You might choose to not avail yourself to their potential benefits, but you do yourself a disservice by rationalizing the decision by saying you don't want to 'change' it because it's a part of you. So are pimples, afterall.

PrincessSarey
April 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Excuse me, I do have real adhd or I wouldnt have been diagnosed. So dont you dare doubt me and think im lying.

It is a flaw, but it is also a gift.

I dont take pills. They are pathetic. I deal by myself like I do with everything. Sure, its tough, but life is tough.

PrincessSarey
April 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
My father isn't on medication, he actually developed anxiety attacks from being used as a lab rat on the stupid medication. He doesn't take any medication for his ADHD and he doesn't want to either. We don't need some pill.

This is part of me, whether it is good or bad, It's part of me.

And yes, it does impair my life quite severely, but I personally don't care to take a pill, it is me, end off. I was born with it. It is my choice.
now get away from myh thread if you're going to put words in my mouth and doubt I even have it.

chucknorrisrules
April 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry for misconstruing your post like that, but you need to stop being so aggressive about this...

Medication has come a long way from when your father was used as a "lab rat". If he was used as a "lab rat", he knew that there was a chance of him having very negative side effects.

As for saying he doubts that you have it, you're being a hypocrite for telling me not to put words in your mouth and then doing the same to him, before posting, read what you're typing.

How is this a gift? I've known people with ADHD and they can't control it, stopping them from reaching their full potential. Maybe you have a very mild case of it and it isn't as bad as you perceive. You want to be aggressive? I can do the same.

Moosey
April 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I resent the way you speak of my experiences. Don't put the term lab rat in quotes, take it deadly serious. I did not volunteer myself, or I wouldn't have used the term lab rat in the first place. My mother put me in there when I was 14, and even reaped the monetary benefits. The medication that was tested on me is now called Strattera. I have also been on Ritalin, and it's time release sister Concerta. I have also been on Wellbutrin. Ultimately, by 17, I was done with pills altogether.

I embrace my ADHD, it does enable me to be the better part of myself. I can multitask pretty efficiently, the hyperactivity enables me to type rather quickly, I can learn as effectively as anyone and I won't be told otherwise.

You can either be respectful of my opinions and my experiences, or you will find me to be aggressive. You cannot simply walk all over a person's personal opinion and try to make it reflect your own and not expect them to fight back. Furthermore, you cannot take someone's experiences in such light tone and expect not to offend them.

And as with many things, the gift of a thing is often in the eyes of the beholder. You may not feel that way, but she does, and there is no reason to call that into question.

PrincessSarey
April 19th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry for misconstruing your post like that, but you need to stop being so aggressive about this...

Then don't you force your opinion on me. I have my opinion, you have yours. Don't try to change mine.

Medication has come a long way from when your father was used as a "lab rat". If he was used as a "lab rat", he knew that there was a chance of him having very negative side effects.

My father did not choose to be tested on medication, he was a child, his mother signed him up for it with no consideration nor permission from him to do so.

As for saying he doubts that you have it, you're being a hypocrite for telling me not to put words in your mouth and then doing the same to him, before posting, read what you're typing.

I did read what he was typing, I was extremely offended he dare said I do not have ADHD and doubts it. I have been diagnosed with combined type and it's actually quite impairing.

How is this a gift? I've known people with ADHD and they can't control it, stopping them from reaching their full potential. Maybe you have a very mild case of it and it isn't as bad as you perceive.

Maybe they should stop being so negative on it then. I do not have a mild case. I have quite a severe case, and I'm also in a special needs school for my severe difficulties. It is bad, I know that, I go to school with people who have it, also have a step brother with it, but people need to stop looking at it like it is some disease. It is not. It is a flaw, yes, but it can be a gift. Many have achieved much in life and they have ADHD.

You want to be aggressive? I can do the same.

You don't even know aggressive if you think this is it from me. I can be much worse. And do not speak as if this is a choice to be feeling this way. I do not choose to feel aggressive, maybe if you wouldn't be so stubborn about this, but I suppose that's way too much to ask.

Also, if you idolize Chuck Norris so much, you wouldn't have a problem with respecting someone else's opinion.