PDA

View Full Version : Schizophrenia....

Marie101
April 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Just recently I've been hearing voices. It first happened at school. I was sitting in math class and I heard a loud scream, so I looked around and ignored it. Later on that day I heard it again, except this time they were just talking to me. As the days progressed their words got more harsh. I usually only hear two, and I think it's a girl and a guy. They'll just start having some random conversation on what I'm doing. I've come to figure out that the chick doesn't like me soo much. She tells me to kill myself, and that I am a waste of breath. The guy doesn't even speak to me unless the girl starts yelling. I have told my parents, but they don't know what to do. My mom is going to see if it's schizophrenia that I have, but to tell you the truth I truly hope its not. I have never been so scared of myself before. So scared of what I could do......I'm just so confused...I am only 14 years old, and doctors say that it usually occurs in women at the age of 25.....i just don't know what to do about this.

Sapphire
April 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
:hug3:
First I want to say well done for telling your parents! A lot of people (myself included) wouldn't be able to muster up the courage to do it.

Try to calm down for a moment. I know that you are scared and confused but auditory hallucinations are not solely a sign of schizophrenia. People can hear voices with things like depression as well.

Going to get assessed by a professional is a very good move. They can give you a proper diagnosis and work out the best way to help you.

INFERNO
April 3rd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Just recently I've been hearing voices. It first happened at school. I was sitting in math class and I heard a loud scream, so I looked around and ignored it. Later on that day I heard it again, except this time they were just talking to me. As the days progressed their words got more harsh. I usually only hear two, and I think it's a girl and a guy. They'll just start having some random conversation on what I'm doing. I've come to figure out that the chick doesn't like me soo much. She tells me to kill myself, and that I am a waste of breath. The guy doesn't even speak to me unless the girl starts yelling. I have told my parents, but they don't know what to do. My mom is going to see if it's schizophrenia that I have, but to tell you the truth I truly hope its not. I have never been so scared of myself before. So scared of what I could do......I'm just so confused...I am only 14 years old, and doctors say that it usually occurs in women at the age of 25.....i just don't know what to do about this.

The onset is usually around early/mid teens to 25 or so. It could be schizophrenia, or it could be something else. However, for it to be schizophrenia, other criteria need to be met, aside from this.

When my parents were told more or less what I have (waiting for some personality test results, psychiatrist is away for a bit so waiting until he comes back), and I'm not sure they fully grasp it. Usually, it's just ignored until something happens then they start worrying sometimes.

But remember, although it's usually onset at around 14/15-25, that doesn't mean that it cannot happen earlier or later.

triplethreat40
May 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Marie101;479329] I have never been so scared of myself before. So scared of what I could do......QUOTE]

that's the worst kind of fear in my opinion. because when you can't trust your own eyes, you can't trust anything they percieve. free falling...

abc1723
May 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM
it might not be schizophrenia, these symptoms also occur in other illnesses like depression.

INFERNO
May 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM
it might not be schizophrenia, these symptoms also occur in other illnesses like depression.

Depression has hallucinations? I'd like to see a proper source for that.

Sapphire
May 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Depression has hallucinations? I'd like to see a proper source for that.
Psychotic depression is in the DSM 4 which I'm sure you have claimed to be very familiar with in the past. Either way, here is your source http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55165

INFERNO
May 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
But that is not major depression (the type commonly referred to). For major depression, hallucinations are not a symptom (http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/major-depression).

Sapphire
May 21st, 2009, 12:59 AM
But that is not major depression (the type commonly referred to). For major depression, hallucinations are not a symptom (http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/major-depression).
I am aware of this but the point is that psychosis can occur in depression.
What's your point?

loz4
June 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Inferno just got shot down by Sapphire. Anyway on to the serious thing my uncle had depression and phycosis.

Monoxide
September 20th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Sometimes i hear voices and the one thing That is best to do is ignore it.. Or be cool like me and Make conversation with the voices.. You may think thats crazy but it makes it seem like It's a dream and it wont Harm you as much.

Triceratops
September 20th, 2009, 04:43 AM
This thread is about 3 months old.
Do not bump old threads.
:locked: