PDA

View Full Version : My risk?

clr9823
March 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hi.
My gran has had Schizophrenia and is on serious meds to control it, and I think one of my uncles is the same. Does this mean I'm more likely to develop it?

Atonement
March 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
You have about a 5% genetic probability. Though, that isn't including environmental risk, that can work to lessen or increase the probability. You about twice as much of a probability as the general population of having schizophrenia. Though, you are doing well being aware of the risk. But I wouldn't worry tooooo much.

clr9823
March 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks. I worry about everything though, although that will probably be what causes me to drop early:rolleyes:

Skeln
March 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Well, yeah you do probably have a more likely chance of it. You're not the only one, I have an even greater probable chance of getting it, so yeah compared to me I don't think you have too much to worry about. I just caution youto stay away from drugs unless perscribed by your doctor. That really increases your chances if you already have relatives with it.

kika12
March 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
you have more chance to have it but is not sure my uncle have it hes the only one in the family and for the moment neither my sister or me have Schizophrenia so dont worry about this i may not happen if you wanna talk sometime tell me i understand you last year i was very scared about this issue but now i feel much better.i hope you feel better soon.