PDA

View Full Version : A strange case of OCD?

Rise Against
March 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Im pretty sure i have OCD. I do everything in patterns, every night i have to say the same prayer before i can go to sleep (even though im not religious). I also have to recite the ABC's backwards, lol. I have to take the same routes to all of my classes everyday. Some times i have to count things for no reason. Although i am not organized or a germ phob. Sometimes i get songs stuck in my head for days and that gets really annoying. All these reasons are kind of annoying but thats not the reason why i am posting this.

The reason why i am righting this is because in the past few weeks ive been getting these really stupid, uncontrollable urges. Today i came home from school to eat lunch and was cooking macaroni and cheese. I got the uncontrollable urge to touch the red hot stove top. Now i have a big blister that is the shape of a ring on my hand that reminds me of how stupid i was. I also get the urge to stick my finger in the cigarette lighter in my car (like every time i get in my car), stick paper clips in electrical plug ins, eat butter, eat chapstick, eat glue sticks, drive really really fast, eat sugar (usually with a spoon) and lots of other stupid things like that.

These urges have been getting more frequent and much more intense within the past few weeks. Im starting to get scared because some of these urges are quite painful. BTW, i am not depressed and i don't do this self destructive behavior to show off (i only get these urges when i am by myself). So is this typical behavior of OCD or is this something "more".

IAMSAM
March 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Does any blood realtive have OCD (or other psych problems)? These things tend to run in families.

The central theme with OCD isn't so much the 'Need' do do certain things (compulsions), or the recurrent thoughts (obsessions), but rather the result if the individual cannot perform/think about their rituals. What results is really incapacitation, and inabilty to 'move forward'. It's quite paralyzing, and it's that paralysis that really defines OCD.

So, what you might do when these thoughts or urges strike you is to not give into them, don't do *whatever* it is you feel compelled to do. This might take some practice, but most people are able to develop the control and will power to avoid acting on the urges.

If you cannot, or the urges are so overwhelming to you that you become paralyzed, then regardless what it is, you'd need some help. And doctor could accurately diagnose and treat this, usually quite successfully.

Crazychild
March 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
-----------

SegundoTJ
January 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Im not sure if any of you know but A&E is casting for their second season of "Obsessed" which gives 12-16 weeks of free professional therapy to those with OCD and anxiety disorders. It shows the truth about OCD and really helps people change their lives. You can email [email protected] for more info.