PDA

View Full Version : I have an issue

Skeln
March 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well, both of my parents are schizophrenic and one of my old friends (he lived next door to me before I moved) has schizophrenia. (I was just throwing out that little detail for some unknown reason). I am not aware of any other schizophrenics in my family. I can't fully recall what type of schizophrenics my parents are. But yeah I knoiw schizophrenia can run in families, but like I said earlier I have never heard of any other schizophrenics in my family. I no longer live with my dad, just my mom and my grandparents.

My main issue here is that I'm worried about how much of the risk of schizophrenia has increased with both my parents being schizophrenic. I know that my chances greatly increase if I take any drugs, so yeah I don't do drugs. Schizophrenia can also be caused by drugs, and my dad smoked weed for about 2 years, so I'm not sure if that increases my chances because of me having been around the smoke for those two years. But still, I'm worried that I might get it and pass it down to my kids, grandkids, etc. I'm just woundering if any of you know, ar at least can guess what my chances are for schizophrenia. I know it's rare, but for christ sakes both my parents have it! For all I know, I could have a 100% chance of it! This has just been freaking me out and I don't know who else to come to.

INFERNO
March 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Studies have shown it's not a 100% chance. It's about 30-40% if both parents have it.
http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/FAQoffspring.htm#inherit

This means, you may have a predisposition to it but if the environmental factors are not right for it, you're unlikely to get it. These factors such as stress (long-term usually), drugs or alcohol, etc.. .

devilishangel
March 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM
wat all i kno is dat d disease has no known reason...and it kinda run in ur family too..or it myt jst pop out...out of blue wid no history of this disease..myt haf it..

thought it myt help[:(]dunno...kz best wud b go to sum1 hu cud guide u realy scientifically...kz all ur doubts will get cleared

why dont you try to talk dis out wid some physician..if u can...it wud be d best...he might...i dunno...bt he might suggest you wat u can do...from your side not to have it...

Skeln
March 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hmm...well yeah I stay away from drugs and alcohol. But the loong-term stress...yeah 13 years with two schizophrenic parents is a long time. About 1/2 of the 14 years of my life has been stressful...especially now. Good thing I have friends or I would have lost my sanity. i'm amazed I've kept it all these years.

I have talked to my counselor about it, and he says that I do have an increased chance...but he never clarified by how much of a greater chance I have.

I should've put this in my origional post, but I'm too lazy to right now. My family believes my dad got schizophrenia because he was in the military. I'm not sure if he got it before, after, or during the military thing, but yeah that's the only basis on his schizophrenic origin. My mother, well their's two thearys that I'm curious about.

1-Your child can get schizophrenia if the mother has a serious case of the flu during pregnancy with the child. My grandmother and my grandfather both got a serious case of the flu while my mother was still in the whomb. (did I spell that right?)

2-You can get schizophrenia if you take drugs and the effects don't go away. I know this one plays a role in schizophrenia. A month before my mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, she was on a field trip. They stopped at a resteraunt to use the bathroom and my mother ordered a drink to go. She drank it and while she was getting ont he bus she had a serious and crazy case of moodswings, different mood every few minutes if I recall correctly. She could have sworn somene had drugged her drink.

So yeah, this is the only info. about where my parents got schizophrenia. Don't know if this means anyhting, but yeah just in case.

INFERNO
March 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
wat all i kno is dat d disease has no known reason...and it kinda run in ur family too..or it myt jst pop out...out of blue wid no history of this disease..myt haf it..

thought it myt help[:(]dunno...kz best wud b go to sum1 hu cud guide u realy scientifically...kz all ur doubts will get cleared

why dont you try to talk dis out wid some physician..if u can...it wud be d best...he might...i dunno...bt he might suggest you wat u can do...from your side not to have it...

You're 20 years old and type like a bloody infant? Bullshit.

As for the theories, yes, it is theorized there may be a virus that affects the fetus in the womb. I don't think it's the common flu, however, I'm not sure on the name. About the drugs, it's after long-term usage (usually) and using large doses. The exception would be if you had a rather high predisposition and the drugs were the little thing to just push it over the edge. If it's due to drugs, it's drug-induced psychosis or schizophrenia.

About your father, it could have been PTSD, as one of the possible symptoms, along with the flash-backs and such, is hallucinations. A way to test though is to do various questionnaires and some brain scans.

Skeln
March 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Well, I haven't seen him for nearly a year now. I don't know, all I know is that both have schizophrenia and I don't have anything else on either my mother or my father. I thank you for the info Inferno, I owe you.

IAMSAM
March 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, INFERNO is on top of this one, good job.

A couple of random thoughts. First, Bobby, exactly how do you know your folks have schizophrenia? Are we talking the same thing here? To be diagnosed a schizophrenic, you really need a thorough eval by a competent mental health professional who has some experience with it. Have they had that? You cannot become schizophrenic by smoking pot, nor can service in the military cause it. Drugs can exacerbate an underlying predisposition, but in and of themselves, they cannot cause it in a 'normal' person. Likewise, serving in active combat can be highly traumatic and cause psychosis, but not schizophrenia. All schizophrenics are psychotic, but all psychotic behavior/thought is not schizophrenic, they're different. If your dad had a reaction to being in combat, then regardless of what type of psychosis he suffers with, that wouldn't necessarily increase your risk, since his was most likely brought about by the trauma of combat, by environmental conditions.

I think if you're really worried here, you should find out exactly how they were diagnosed, and at what age. Then, I'd make really sure you're keeping yourself in good mental health, avoiding those stressors that could be predispositions to it, like bottling things up, excessive worrying, etc. There's not much you can do about the genetic component to this (if they actually have it), but you can do some things that are precautionary. And, remember to continue enjoyng your life and pursuing your goals, don't get too hung up on this. No one really knows what's in store for them, we just have to make sure we're doing right as we go along.

Skeln
March 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yes, they have been diagnosed by a professional. In fact, he's one of the best here in the bay area. He's even written a guide book about schizophrenia, what it is, how to treat it, and a bunch of othger things in there that I can't even understand. They are both schizophrenics for sure. And as with the war thing, like I said before that is the only lead I have for my father. They were both diagnosed with it fairly young. I believe in their 20s. They were diagnosed with it before they met eachother.

IAMSAM
March 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Bobby, all you can do is live a good, clean life, avoid situations that could push you over the edge, and don't dwell on it. No one knows for sure what the future holds for them, as long as you're taking care of yourself you're doing all you can do.

Should you begin to notice some of the thoughts or feelings or bizarre experiences characteristic of schizophrenia, it would be really important to get to a doc ASAP and start treatment. Early intervention is key to stabilization.

Skeln
March 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
OK, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks guys, I feel alot better now.

kika12
March 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM
my uncle have schizophrenia i was really scared last year to be able to have it because of my uncle but is not sure dont worry about believe me just life your life last year i have strong anxiety i was sure i have schizophrenia but no i was just anxiety now im better and i dont worry about that.so i hope you feel better now

bunsy
April 7th, 2009, 03:33 AM
this is few random questions - you dont have to answer,

is your mom aware of when things like the moodswings happen? what kind of schizofrenia does she and your father have(if you can find out)?
that might give us some clue as to what kind of schizo there is a chance of you getting - and i dont think you should worry over it, it could be two completely different types of schizo which decrease your chances of having it back to the 1% or of the population, judging by the factors that affected your parents - your dads smoking etc - i dont think you will have or in the future 'get' schizofrenia
bunsy x

left footed mofo
May 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
i know i'm schizo, and i THINK my dad was (never met him)