PDA

View Full Version : Did I just lose control of my complusion?

Detro Metro
March 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Alright, I was at work and at times I get these nervous attacks where I think Im on the verge of compulsively doing something bad, like touching or hitting someone.

This one moment, I saw someone walking my way and the thought of touching them came into my head. I started to become more and more nervous as I got closer to the person. I started to have thoughts like do it, do it.

I also felt my arm move slowly towards their way. I don't think I touched them,but what freaks me out is that I think I was trying to fulfill that compulsion. Ive had many of these before, but I felt very sick to my stomach and nervous this time.

Am I losing control or did I lose control just then and there?

Can someone help?

IAMSAM
March 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
No. you didn't lose control b/c you did not actually do anything. To lose control of the urge or impulse, you have to not just think about it, you have to actually do it, you have to translate the urge to action. Which you didn't do.

However, whatever goes on for you sounds very difficult and very distracting. A doctor can help make all this go away by giving you the tools you need in therapy to manage these urges, as well as maybe some meds to help, too. Consider going to a doctor and getting some good treatment.

Detro Metro
March 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you very much for the assurance, but I'm still alittle freaked out that my arm was moving towards the person.

I don't think I touched them, but since my arm was moving, does that mean I was trying to?

IAMSAM
March 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Only you know what your motivation was, but personally, if you didn't make contact, you didn't lose control. A loss of control means that *something* actually happened, 'almost' doesn't count.

There's very good treatment for all this, I hope you can get to a doctor.

Detro Metro
March 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much for your help. Maybe I'll get some treatment sometime. Again, thank you.