PDA

View Full Version : Age difference

Ashlie
March 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ok so I have a friend that has had a lot of dating trouble in the past, I won't go into detail. Basically he's struck out with every girl he's ever liked. He has recently become very close with a girl who he likes and she likes him back. My concern is that he is a 16 and a half year old 10th grader, and she is an almost 15 year old 8th grader. I myself think they would make a good couple, but idk if their age difference would complicate things. I just don't want him to feel weird dating somone that much younger than him. Any advice, comments, or concerns would be appreciated. :)

IAMWILL
March 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Well.... Ok they are dealing with two different types of age here.

First off, high school and middle school are COMPLETELY different experiences! You have a lot more of responsibilities and freedom in high school, an therefore you are exposed to a lot more things is high school. Put simply, your friends are in two different worlds. Not to mention that schedules and group/friend are different.

Secondly though, they are only one year apart. That's nothing really. If they are both mentally matured, considering they're probably both almost fully physically matured, they should be fine together. It's a problem when a 16 year old goes out with a 13 year old 8th grader, but not as much when they're only one year apart.

It really depends how they feel about each other though. If they really both like each other, it wont matter to them how old or what grade they are in. If they have any doubts though, I wouldn't take this relationship to seriously.

TAC1
March 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
To my knowledge that's unusual. That would be like in Trinidad a form 2 student dating a standard 3 student. ( Irrelevant) But I really depends on how much they have feelings for each other. Otherwise i think that that would be ok since they are 1 year apart.

triplethreat40
March 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
socially, it might be a bit awakward for them both going on a double, or to a school dance.

but i know a suscessfull couple in 9th and 7th grade. expecially because their actuall age is so close (just like the couple i know!), i don't think it should really create a problem.

Tommie
March 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I now go out with a girl a year younger
do you think thats ok?
i dont care she's hot

IAMSAM
March 8th, 2009, 04:56 AM
If your friend is unlucky with girls his own age, he might feel he has more of a chance with a younger one.

The real issue isn't so much the age diff, it's really what's preventing your friend from being successful with his peers. Does he know why? What's getting in his way? Why isn't he being accepted?

I'd help him understand (and hopefully resolve) those issues, the things that prevent his accpetance, rather than just try an end run aroun dit by dating someone younger, and less mature. Dating less mature girls might give him a girlfirend, but it also means he's missing out on getting his needs met as only someone who's developmentally his age can really do.