PDA

View Full Version : Is this just rebound romance?

jjmcray
March 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Alright, so I broke up with my girlfriend about a month ago. I'm pretty sure I'm over it. I can sleep easy now, and I don't really think about her that much. In fact I think I've gone through a few whole days without thinking about her at all. I can comfortably listen to songs on the radio about women and breakups and relationships without becoming uneasy. Bottom line is, I've moved on. I'm ready to start dating someone else. I want to.

Anyway, there's this girl that I've known since like 7th grade (I'm in 11th now), and we kinda just stopped talking when high school started (9th grade). She wasn't in any of my classes anymore either. Then in 10th grade I moved to a different high school. (I still live within walking distance of her though.) Keep in mind, this entire time, I never liked her or even considered dating her. She was just a friend of mine. However, we have kept in touch ever since we have known each other, through myspace and AIM.

Anyway, we have both been talking a lot lately, through myspace, AIM, texting, and over the phone. And lately, I have begun to realize that I'm starting to like her as more than just a friend.

Here's the thing though. Her boyfriend broke up with her like two days before my girlfriend broke up with me. I think that's when we started talking more than usual. Anyway, I'm pretty sure she's over it too. She even told me she has moved on.

But, here's my question. Considering that it's only been a month since either of our breakups, and assuming that she might like me back (hypothetically, I guess) could this just be rebound love for both of us?

In my mind, I don't like her just because I want a girlfriend really badly. Sometimes I dream about her, and I just imagine holding her and being with her.

So what do you think? Should I fight the temptation and wait a little longer?

staying_alive
March 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
It does resemble "rebound love" quite a bit. However, you should definitely continue talking to her and getting to know her well and then see how you feel. If you know that you like her and aren't just rebounding, then go for it. If you two get in a relationship, she's more likely to get over her last guy even faster anyway (if she was still rebounding). Just be true to yourself first.

jjmcray
March 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
If you two get in a relationship, she's more likely to get over her last guy even faster anyway (if she was still rebounding).

Um I can't tell if that's necessarily a good thing...? What is that supposed to mean?

Jordan...14
March 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
from the way it sounds it is what you say it is but i think what that other dude was trying to say was keep talking to her, keep making friends, getting to know etc etc and maybe after a few more weeks if you still feel the same, i'd say go for it, cos that is almost ttwo months...

staying_alive
March 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Um I can't tell if that's necessarily a good thing...? What is that supposed to mean?

This is a good thing. I meant that if you got into a relationship with her, and she was still "rebounding," that it would make her get over the other guy tons faster than if you waited longer for a relationship.

Camazotz
March 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Time can't be judged by days, but by how you guys feel about each other. If you're sure that you truly like her more than a friend, I wouldn't consider it a rebound. If she's over it, it can't be a rebound. A rebound is taking advantage of her when she's depressed about her break-up.