PDA

View Full Version : Did this cause it?

DarkWingedAngel
November 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
When I was little I was abused and stuff and i was adopted at the age of 4.
I lived on the street for 3 years and stuff happend.
Could this be why I have ADD
I have been told it might by my mom a few years ago but I just wanted to know for sure.

Oblivion
November 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
We cant really tell you for sure, since we cant even see you
Go to a doctor and get checked out if you want to know

Although, I doubt it... I honestly don't see a connection between being abused and having ADD... To my knowledge most abused children are quiet and scared

The Air Guitar Man13
December 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
you dont get ADD your born with it

or at least thats how it goes with ADHD but i think they are pretty much the same thing

Sapphire
December 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
The exact cause of ADD and ADHD are unknown.
There seems to be a genetic factor in the development of this disorder as it tends to run in families.
I haven't yet come across a page which links it to abuse though...

Cindex
December 4th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Truthfully, most people claiming ADD or ADHD just don't pay attention and there's no disorder. In some, it is very serious and very real.

The trauma, however, may keep you from using your brain to it's full potential. Therefore causing symptoms similar to ADD. You won't want to accidently think about what happened.

Also, saying "stuff happened" on the street could likely play a factor. Drugs?

It would've shown up when you were real little. Either it's all caused by environment or you were born with a minor case and it turned really bad.

DarkWingedAngel
December 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Truthfully, most people claiming ADD or ADHD just don't pay attention and there's no disorder. In some, it is very serious and very real.

The trauma, however, may keep you from using your brain to it's full potential. Therefore causing symptoms similar to ADD. You won't want to accidently think about what happened.

Also, saying "stuff happened" on the street could likely play a factor. Drugs?

It would've shown up when you were real little. Either it's all caused by environment or you were born with a minor case and it turned really bad.
I have add. I was diagnosed with it at age 6
all i was wondering is what caused it
because no one in my family had it before me

Sapphire
December 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
The cause really isn't known. All they know is that it tends to run in families.

DarkWingedAngel
December 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
ok thats all I wanted to know
thanks