PDA

View Full Version : Mental illness?

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Why is ADHD in the mental illness section?

It kinda makes us out to be "freaks", why cant we be put in a different section? It ain't like we're psycho.

Θάνατος
November 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM
It is a mental illness. Yes you are right you are not freaks. No one is a freak who has been diagnosed with a mental health issue.

I was misdiagnosed with ADD when I was younger. You can learn to control your mind and body and until you do you will need help by taking meds.

I have been med free for 14 months now and I actually feel better about myself and I am able to think more clearly now.

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
How is it an illness?

Callwaiting
November 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM
How is it an illness?

Because there's a chemical imbalance.
Mental Illness sounds bad, but that's just because of the stigma attached to the other illnesses, such as depression(you're an emo) and schizophrenia(psycho) but ADD is very common.
It's grouped with these other illnesses because they're not physical, but that doesn't mean you're a "freak" or crazy, it's the same as having a physical illness.

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
My doctor says it isn't an illness.

Θάνατος
November 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
How is it an illness?

It is a disorder but it is treated as an illness since there is no cure for it.

Here read this quote from Wkipedia.

"Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder affecting about 3-5% of the world's population. It typically presents during childhood, and is characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsiveness and inattention, with or without a component of hyperactivity. ADHD occurs twice as commonly in boys as in girls. ADHD is generally a chronic disorder with 10 to 40% of individuals diagnosed in childhood continuing to meet diagnostic criteria in adulthood. As they mature, adolescents and adults with ADHD are likely to develop coping mechanisms to compensate for their impairment.

Though previously regarded as a childhood diagnosis ADHD can continue throughout adulthood. ADHD has a strong genetic component. Methods of treatment usually involve some combination of medications, behavior modifications, life style changes, and counseling. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that stimulant medications and/or behavior therapy are appropriate and generally safe treatments for ADHD. However, the safety of stimulants for periods of usage longer than three years has not yet been determined and drug treatment of pre-school children is not recommended.

ADHD and its treatment has been considered controversial since the 1970s. The controversies have involved clinicians, teachers, policymakers, parents, and the media with opinions regarding ADHD that range from those who do not believe it exists at all to those who believe that there is genetic and physiological basis for the condition, and also include disagreement about use of stimulant medications in treatment."

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Well I still do not think I am a psycho!

theOperaGhost
November 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Nobody here is psycho and it's rather offensive to keep calling people with mental illnesses psycho.

The only people you can truly call "psycho" (and even then, they really shouldn't be called it), and psychopaths or sociopaths. People with antisocial personality disorder are psychopaths. These people are like Jeffrey Dahmer and other people who have absolutely no sense of morality and felt no guilt for the crimes they committed. To my knowledge, there is nobody on this site with antisocial personality disorder, thus nobody here is a psycho. It's very rude and insensitive to classify all people with a mental illness as psycho.

Θάνατος
November 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Well I still do not think I am a psycho!

Hey mate we are here to help you. You are not psycho I can understand why you take offense to the label.

thePianoman is right the only true psychos are this.

the only people you can truly call "psycho" (and even then, they really shouldn't be called it), and psychopaths or sociopaths. People with antisocial personality disorder are psychopaths. These people are like Jeffrey Dahmer and other people who have absolutely no sense of morality and felt no guilt for the crimes they committed. To my knowledge, there is nobody on this site with antisocial personality disorder, thus nobody here is a psycho. It's very rude and insensitive to classify all people with a mental illness as psycho.

Sapphire
November 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
If you are going to label everyone with mental health problems as a psycho, what the hell are you doing on this site?

Θάνατος
November 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
If you are going to label everyone with mental health problems as a psycho, what the hell are you doing on this site?

He is not labeling any one, he does not like the label or stigma that he gets from being ADHD.

I see his point and all I am trying to do is help him understand that his disorder is classified as a mental illness.

Sapphire
November 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
He is not labeling any one, he does not like the label or stigma that he gets from being ADHD.

I see his point and all I am trying to do is help him understand that his disorder is classified as a mental illness.

There isn't a doubt that he is labelling people with MH problems as psychos. If he wasn't then the fact that ADHD is in the psych ward wouldn't bother him.

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM
There isn't a doubt that he is labelling people with MH problems as psychos. If he wasn't then the fact that ADHD is in the psych ward wouldn't bother him.I am saying ADHD is NOT a mental illness.

Being ill means some sort of sickness. I am not sick, and I don't like being called mentally ill.

theOperaGhost
November 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
It's no different than something like being bi-polar. People who are bi-polar are not sick, they have a chemical imbalance in their brains, exactly the same as someone with ADHD. Maybe calling these things mental illnesses isn't the best thing. Maybe they should all be called disorders.

Maybe it really would clarify things if this was changed to mental disorders instead of mental illness, actually. All of the subtopics are psychological disorders. However, I don't feel there is a huge difference between an illness and a disorder.

Justin16
November 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Being called "mentally ill" is offensive. I am not mentally ill, I feel I have a gift.

theOperaGhost
November 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Calling anyone with a mental illness a psycho is extremely offensive. It's not just VT that calls ADHD a mental illness or disorder, if you ever take a class in psychology, ADHD will be under the psychological disorders section right along with bi-polar disorder, OCD, schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder, dissociative personality disorder and many others. ADHD fits perfectly in this section, maybe just the name of the section is wrong. I really don't think it needs to be changed though. The distinction between an illness and a disorder is minimal.

Justin16
November 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Well ask yourself why victims in court call accused people "sick in the head"?

I did say I was not a psycho, because I am not sick in the head.

theOperaGhost
November 9th, 2008, 02:47 AM
If you are getting that from television shows, that is completely wrong. Insanity is a legal term, not a medical/psychological term. You can be legally insane in a court trial. You may not feel you have a psychological disorder, because you can control it, however some people with ADHD cannot control certain things.

And you keep calling anyone with a mental illness a psycho. They are not psychotic. It is extremely offensive and I am asking you to stop saying it here.

Justin16
November 9th, 2008, 02:54 AM
And you keep calling anyone with a mental illness a psycho. They are not psychotic. It is extremely offensive and I am asking you to stop saying it here.I am saying that putting our disorders under the term "illness" is saying to us that we're all "sick".

Illness and Sickness are the same.

And it is what victims say in Court, they say to them "you're sick in the head" as a way to offend them.

I might not be saying this correctly and might be offending you, but I am being offended by being defined as being permanently mentally sick.

theOperaGhost
November 9th, 2008, 03:00 AM
This isn't a problem with VT though...because according to psychology, it has been this way for years. We have everything the way you would find it in a psychology text book.

Justin16
November 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM
So why does this article in USAToday: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-05-24-adhd-usat_x.htm

Say "Teen girls with ADHD at higher risk of mental illness", if they already have a mental illness?

It is also considered a disorder, not an illness, by the ICD: http://www.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/

Jesse
November 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Mental illness (or Emotional disability, Cognitive dysfunction) is a broad generic label for a category of illnesses that may include affective or emotional instability, behavioral dysregulation, and/or cognitive dysfunction or impairment. Specific illnesses known as mental illnesses include major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD), to name a few. Mental illness can be of biological (e.g., anatomical, chemical, or genetic) or psychological (e.g., trauma or conflict) origin. It can impact one’s ability to work or go to school and contribute to problems in relationships. Other generic names for mental illness include “mental disorder”, “psychiatric numpty”, “psychological disorder”,“abnormal psychology”, “emotional disability”, “emotional problems”, or “behavior problem”. The term insanity is used technically as a legal term.

ADHD IS a mental illness. Whether you like it or not.

theOperaGhost
November 9th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Read my posts, bud. I said it's a psychological disorder. Maybe it should be changed to mental disorder instead of mental illness on this site, but no matter what, ADHD is always going to be grouped with the other topics in this section.

Sapphire
November 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I am saying ADHD is NOT a mental illness.

Being ill means some sort of sickness. I am not sick, and I don't like being called mentally ill.

No one likes being called mentally ill, but that is the reality of the situation.

Completely Lost
November 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
If you have a mental illness, chances are, it's probably not even your fault

Screw the labels man, we're not all that different from on another..
I've been diagnosed with
Multiple different things but that shit doesn't stop me, sometimes..