PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I have ADHD

Justin16
November 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Three of my older brothers have ADHD and the pediatrician and psychologist say I do since I was age 10.

However, I feel I was misdiagnosed and think I should have the right to not take the meds.

PrincessSarey
April 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Everyone has the right not to take medication. I don't take it. Some people at my special needs school don't take it. You don't have to take it, and now that you're growing up(you're my age), you should learn to cope with ADHD in other ways than medication to help you in adulthood. Pills do not solve everything.

If you feel you were misdiagnosed, get a second opinion on it.
If they still think you have ADHD, you'll have to look closer at this diagnosis and perhaps it really is what you have... it's not a bad thing, it does not make you inhuman, or some strange child, it's just a diagnosis, it does not make you who you are.

Goodluck.

INFERNO
April 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Doctors can be wrong, they're not always right. Go get a second or if you want, a third opinion. Also, why do you feel you were misdiagnosed?

You have a right to not take the medications, and even if you do take them, bear in mind they don't always work.

IAMSAM
April 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The validity of any diagnosis is based on the way it was diagnosed. How as the ADHD diagnosed? Typically, it's a combo of symptoms, and some testing that can be performed by a psychologist. Many things look like ADHD, many things can cause inattention, but there's only one ADHD, and the most accurate way to determine it's presence is with a battery of tests.

The other way of diagnosing it is to see how the person responds to the medications typically used to treat it. So, if your attention improves on the meds, whatever you want to call it, your positive response to it would suggest you should continue to take them.

PrincessSarey
April 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
People without ADHD abuse the medication to focus on their studies or exams, so that is inaccurate.

stranger
May 12th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Talk to your psychiatrist about it. I have ADHD and I took adderall xr from 6th grade until December of last year. I felt that the medication was controlling my personality and the world felt bland. Now that I am off of it, I am more relaxed and I can have fun. I am also a much more likeable person. If you don't want the medication, your doctor will understand and may at least lower your dosage. Not to say that the medication hampered any of these things directly. I just never felt like I was myself so I was always serious and cranky.