PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol With Meals

CLS02
October 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Hey everyone. I know this won't apply to people here who are older but for kids my age and up to like 17, I was wondering if your parents ever allow you to have a glass or a half glass of wine with family meals?

My parents let me and my little brother to have a glass of wine with our meals sometimes... Ends up being like once or twice a month usually, but not even every week and certainly not every meal.

As far as cooking with alcohol, we make a good amount of food with bits of alcohol in it, both savory and sweet dishes. One of my favorite beef dishes ever is Beef Bourguignon (it's basically a French beef stew) and our recipe for it calls for nearly an entire bottle of dry red wine. And of course there are tons of fresh fruit dishes and desserts that call for sweet liquors, my favorite being Cointreau, which is an orange flavored liqueur.

SethfromMI
October 4th, 2015, 12:48 PM
no one in my family drinks so no, but a little wine with a meal is not a big deal. I know in some places it is very common

Just JT
October 4th, 2015, 01:07 PM
My dad didn't care one way or another, so I did all the time
My foster parents rarely drink, but on occasion, like a nice Sunday diner, they sometimes allow a little wine if it something special or something
But in general, it's a no!

Reise
October 4th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I could have, but as kid I was finding wine disgusting.
It is different when you use it for cooking.

CLS02
October 4th, 2015, 08:15 PM
no one in my family drinks so no, but a little wine with a meal is not a big deal. I know in some places it is very common
Yes true. Last year we had an exchange student stay with us for the school year and she was from Denmark. She said it's very common in her country for kids as young as 11 and 12 to drink wine at the dinner table with the family. I thought that was cool.

I could have, but as kid I was finding wine disgusting.
It is different when you use it for cooking.
Haahahahaha... Maybe you did not try the good wine?? I love it as long as it isn't too sweet.

Posts merged. Next time, please use the multi quote or edit button. -Alluring

Uranus
October 4th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I haven't, and same with SethfromMI haha
But I have drank before

SethfromMI
October 4th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Yes true. Last year we had an exchange student stay with us for the school year and she was from Denmark. She said it's very common in her country for kids as young as 11 and 12 to drink wine at the dinner table with the family. I thought that was cool.

historically when the water could not be drunk because it wasn't clean enough, it was very common for kids to have wine/mead/beer, etc. here in America because of the law (obviously) and other reasons, the practice just is not common. obviously the law has/should be followed, but yea

Typhlosion
October 4th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Nope. My parents are against totally against alcohol consumption, so we don't even commemorate New Year's with champagne. Not in meals, not as an ingredient, and certainly not in this house.

Reise
October 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Haahahahaha... Maybe you did not try the good wine?? I love it as long as it isn't too sweet.

I don't know what is bad wine. I always drank Bordeaux Supérieur and others A.O.C.

azure moonstone
October 5th, 2015, 04:33 AM
The past few years I have had wine on some holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas) but always at home and with my mom. She has no problem with it as long as it's not a lot and I'm not going anywhere.

Babs
October 5th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I've never drank just like a glass of wine with a meal, and my parents have never offered me more than a sip, and I'd never ask. We use wine for recipes and I'll eat that, but obviously the alcohol has burned off, so.

Desuetude
October 5th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah my dad has allowed me to drink cider with meals since I was around 14/15, since I've got older its just gone from half a small glass to a can/bottle. A little wine won't hurt you, personally I don't like the taste and I don't think many kids do, wine is usually a drink that people enjoy more when they're older. Im now at an age where my parents will let me drink whatever though, they're still cautious of my 15 year old sister.

Cooking with alcohol, my dad adds red wine to quite a few dishes. The alcohol is mostly burned off by the time you're eating it though so that's not so much of a problem.

CosmicNoodle
October 5th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I'm 18 now so my parents don't mind if I drink with dinner, or any normal time.

Mars
October 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM
As italians, my dad and I cook usually cook with wine (tomato sauce, marinating, Marsala, etc.) and it's not uncommon that my dad lets me take a sip of alcohol or he shares wine with me during dinner. He said its so i get used to it and I'm more appreciative of the stuff when I get older.

BlackParadePixie
October 5th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Yes, I am allowed to have a little wine with meals at big family gatherings or holidays.

Sheriff McGregor
October 5th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I'm allowed to have a glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail with meals. I usually make dinner for the family and then prepare cocktails for everyone.

Jaffe
October 5th, 2015, 09:42 PM
At most evening meals we have wine, and kids are served it as well. Not a lot, but a glass or sometimes two.
They started serving us wine with dinner at about the same age as they consider it ok to have coffee with breakfast. No specific age really, just when it happens, probably sometime around 10 or 11.

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Yeah my dad has allowed me to drink cider with meals since I was around 14/15, since I've got older its just gone from half a small glass to a can/bottle. A little wine won't hurt you, personally I don't like the taste and I don't think many kids do, wine is usually a drink that people enjoy more when they're older. Im now at an age where my parents will let me drink whatever though, they're still cautious of my 15 year old sister.

Cooking with alcohol, my dad adds red wine to quite a few dishes. The alcohol is mostly burned off by the time you're eating it though so that's not so much of a problem.
Wow where do you live? Here in Texas, lots of my friends like wine, although some of them drink the really cheap/bad wine and it turns their stomach sour.

Strange thing tho, I have never been drunk. I don't want to, either. I have this fear of throwing up and so I never have more than a small glass of wine or other alcohol. That's enough for me!

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 06:58 AM
At most evening meals we have wine, and kids are served it as well. Not a lot, but a glass or sometimes two.
They started serving us wine with dinner at about the same age as they consider it ok to have coffee with breakfast. No specific age really, just when it happens, probably sometime around 10 or 11.
Agreed. I like coffee also, but I probably like hot tea more than I like coffee. BUT... During wintertime I love to drink coffee in the early afternoon, and then hot chocolate at night, with hot tea in the mornings. I guess I over-do it!

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 07:04 AM
I'm allowed to have a glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail with meals. I usually make dinner for the family and then prepare cocktails for everyone.
How cool. You must like to cook! I bake a lot better than I cook, haahaha. Odd. But what kinds of cocktails do you like the most? I like whiskey sours (but I've only had sips or half-glass of those), red wine of course, frozen margaritas, but my favorite is Irish Coffee during the wintertime. I'm not much of a drinker, I mean, I have a fear of getting drunk and sick, so I never have more than a small serving. But I am finding that I like the taste of several different types of drinks.

Desuetude
October 6th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Wow where do you live? Here in Texas, lots of my friends like wine, although some of them drink the really cheap/bad wine and it turns their stomach sour.

Strange thing tho, I have never been drunk. I don't want to, either. I have this fear of throwing up and so I never have more than a small glass of wine or other alcohol. That's enough for me!
England, here wine is seen as being a more adult drink. Usually kids would drink larger or cider etc. with meals. Sure some people drink really cheap, shitty wine at parties but that's just to get drunk. I don't know anyone that legitimately drinks wine because they like it.

Honestly, I hate being sick and other people being sick. But when you're so completely hammered that you end up throwing up, you're usually too mentally impaired to think about hating sick, so that's always a plus xD

Reise
October 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I wonder what wines american people are drinking.

Gotta check the forum rules about naming brands of alcohol.

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM
England, here wine is seen as being a more adult drink. Usually kids would drink larger or cider etc. with meals. Sure some people drink really cheap, shitty wine at parties but that's just to get drunk. I don't know anyone that legitimately drinks wine because they like it.

Honestly, I hate being sick and other people being sick. But when you're so completely hammered that you end up throwing up, you're usually too mentally impaired to think about hating sick, so that's always a plus xD
Yuck! I am glad I have never gotten drunk or even sick from drinking.

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Reise,

I just checked our wine cabinet. We live in Texas... My mom and dad both buy wine. We have mostly red wines but a few white ones. One of the white wines is from Germany and a couple others are from California.

The red wines... It's cool... Red wines from France, Italy, Chile, two from here in Texas (yaayyyy!!) and a couple from California.

Sheriff McGregor
October 6th, 2015, 05:09 PM
How cool. You must like to cook! I bake a lot better than I cook, haahaha. Odd. But what kinds of cocktails do you like the most? I like whiskey sours (but I've only had sips or half-glass of those), red wine of course, frozen margaritas, but my favorite is Irish Coffee during the wintertime. I'm not much of a drinker, I mean, I have a fear of getting drunk and sick, so I never have more than a small serving. But I am finding that I like the taste of several different types of drinks.

I usually do Mountain Dew, lemon juice and rum

CLS02
October 6th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I usually do Mountain Dew, lemon juice and rum
DANG!! Hard core, huh? Haahahahaha!!

CLS02
October 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM

Actually now that I think about it, I don't know too many people my age who actually ENJOY wine. But I think it goes good with food, especially red wine and different beef meals. As far as ale and cider... Here ale and cider are not too popular. Most people drink yucky domestic beer, which I hate.

Sometimes I sample taste the beer that my dad drinks... but they are from Ireland and Germany I think. And ya, they taste a lot better than the U.S. beer here tastes.

I know this one boy at school. He is in the same grade as me, but this year I don't share classes with him at all but I see him around the school nearly day. But anyway, he always comes to school and smells like beer. Don't know where he gets it or whatever but I think he will eventually end up as an alcoholic. It's sad.

CLS02
October 10th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Jaffe, I dedicated an enchilada recipe to YOU on here! Check it out. (Sorry I'm being so corndog...SORRY)

Wilde
October 10th, 2015, 08:26 PM
My parents always order me a jack daniels and coke and buy me jack daniels anyway - they know it's my favourite drink. My older sister, 17, drinks the same prosecco crap as my mum. They order me as much as I like but I try to have it after the meal since I feel it definitely affects the flavour of the food.

Bull
October 10th, 2015, 09:23 PM

Because of growing up in a wine drinking family, parents cellar between 350 and 450 bottles at all times, my preferences are influenced by their taste. I prefer wines from Germany, Hungary, Romania, Italy, South Africa, Australia, and Washington State in the USA. Since we eat mostly beef we drink more red wines.

Kristikia
October 11th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Sometimes my parents let me

Falcons_11
October 13th, 2015, 09:47 PM
My parents drink but they don't allow me to drink even at meals. But I have been known to sneak one of my dad's beer occasionally and share it with a friend.

pjones
October 14th, 2015, 05:52 PM
have had sips of wine at the holidays but no desire to drink. maybe as i get older

adamchiller
October 19th, 2015, 07:45 AM
We are big drinkers in my family (not alcoholics) but we do on many occasions. My folks always let me sip and watched carefully until a couple years ago when I became responsible . Of course they wanted to know what I was drinking and when and how much but he became less strict overtime because I got older and more responsible

prepkid813
December 2nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Not a big fan

feli 99
June 13th, 2016, 11:41 AM
In Germany we can drink beer wine ..... with 16 ;);)

Plane And Simple
June 13th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Please don't bump old threads :locked: