PDA

View Full Version : Do younger kids feel cold more than older?

Legoboy
September 26th, 2015, 06:56 AM
So my foster bro is sat here in his underwear still and I am wearing socks, tracksuit bottoms, a t shirt, a hoody with the hood up and I'm still feeling cold.

I don't feel sick and this happens all the time and I even try not putting more on to try to get used to it more. He's older and bigger so I guess this is just something to do with our ages / size? I hope I get so I don't feel the cold so much as I get older ...

StoppingTom
September 26th, 2015, 12:24 PM
People just have different tolerances for temperature. I'm a fair bit older than you and I can't live if it's below 70 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Just JT
September 26th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I'm 15 and I actually like all the different extremes of hot and cold, they never really bother me

CuteGuy889
September 26th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah..cos they have less body fat to insulate them...When I used to be skinny I used to be wrapped up all the time...Now I've put on a little and dont feel as cold..

Plane And Simple
September 26th, 2015, 03:27 PM
It really depends on the person. I know people that can't stand cold and they're slightly overweight, while for me, I'm a bit underweight and I love cold, and also stand temps up to 115F. There are no defined factors, be it age or body fat, people are just tolerant to temperature in different ways

Babs
September 26th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Depends on the person and what they're used to. Generally, people who are underweight have a tendency to be colder, while people who are overweight tend to be hotter. That's not true all the time though, since there are other contributing factors. Age is a factor, but you're on the older side of being a kid so that might not be it.
Myself, I'm a bit underweight and I love colder weather more than hotter weather, but I'm a bit more sensitive to it also.
Like I said, it depends on the person.

Legoboy
September 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Could be weight / body fat I'm really lean I suppose but my bro isn't at all fat but he's got more bulk proprotientately than me in muscle and general size.

So I guess you can't train yourself to be used to it more? Like I was wondering if I had cold showers or something then my body would get used to it more .

Desuetude
September 26th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I hate the cold. Always have always will. If it gets below 15C then I start wearing 4/5 layers and make my parents put the central heating on to about 20 (e.g. right now even though it's only September) and when it gets to about 5 I stop being able to function (minus numbers just cause me to go into hibernation). I really struggle doing menial things in the cold. Not sure if age factors into it but size might. My younger sister is smaller than me though and she has less of a problem with cold than me. It's probably more of an invidial thing than something you can correlate.

Karkat
October 3rd, 2015, 07:59 PM
I'm several years older and I still get cold unless it's 80+ degrees :P

I also have hormonal/endocrine/immune problems and I grew up in the southwest so that probably has something to do with it

I'm not a particularly small person either- I'm 6'0 and wear fairly large sized clothing
I'm just always cold :P

Jaffe
October 3rd, 2015, 08:03 PM
I am kind of small, and I cannot stand the cold, love the heat.
My mom is close to my size, and she loves the cold, has the AC at 68 most of the time, making me wear a hoodie in the house in the summer.
I think it is just different people.

Although I have read that people with fat layers under the skin tend to retain heat more, so like it colder. But I think it is more just an individual thing.

SethfromMI
October 3rd, 2015, 10:47 PM
there are so many different factors which can go into this. in the end people are different. it sounds like you get cold and your foster bro doesn't. i still go shirtless a lot inside in the winter and even in my underwear (though in the colder months it is also more likely i will wear sweats or something compared to summer obviously). it really just depends. you could take two skinny persons and one could love the cold and the other one hate it.

Legoboy
October 4th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Some really interesting responses thanks guys. SethfromMI you sound just like my foster bro, I was starting to think he's an android. Or maybe you both are lol.

I am kind of small, and I cannot stand the cold, love the heat.
Yep ^this^ is me too

My mom is close to my size, and she loves the cold, has the AC at 68 most of the time, making me wear a hoodie in the house in the summer.
I think it is just different people.

Right so yeah. I'd love to know the science but yeah looks like its just down to the person. I get that i'm different to my foster family but id have thought blood relations would be similar. Guess not. So 68f=20c, I think I'm just comfortable around 23-24c.

SethfromMI
October 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Some really interesting responses thanks guys. SethfromMI you sound just like my foster bro, I was starting to think he's an android. Or maybe you both are lol.

Yep ^this^ is me too

Right so yeah. I'd love to know the science but yeah looks like its just down to the person. I get that i'm different to my foster family but id have thought blood relations would be similar. Guess not. So 68f=20c, I think I'm just comfortable around 23-24c.

lol some guys, like me and your bro, just like being in our underwear more regardless, or at least shirtless

Uniquemind
November 8th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Not sure about the older or younger being the factor.

I know other factors do influence this like: blood circulation (aka: heart health), genetics, psychology etc.

Falcons_11
November 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I get cold mostly in winter even when I wear sweaters and coats. My older bro seems never to be cold even in winter. I always thought it was becuz he is older and weights more than me while I am skinny and sort of puny compared to him.

Miscreant
November 20th, 2015, 03:01 AM
My little bros are identical twins and one likes the cold and hates the heat but it's the other way around for the other one.