PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts, please :)

Fiction
September 24th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I am hoping to do a presentation for a course that i'm doing on how Eating Disorders develop.

My main aim of the presentation is to dispel the myth (or what I believe to be a myth) that the most important and main cause of eating disorders is the media, and the way in which they portray models, actresses etc.

I am not doubting that this doesn't have some impact, but I am just trying to collate some ideas from sufferers about whether they believe that their personal experience was caused by the media, or by something else.

I know for me it has always been another form of self-harm, rather than an desire to be thin.

Valentine_
September 25th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Well I think that the media can stimulate it because people see the perfect people and they want to look perfect like them. But people wouldn't care about it if they didn't have problems with their confidence before and weren't ashamed of their bodies. I think nobody should be ashamed of how they look because we are all perfect the way we are.
But yes, I think media isn't the main cause of eating disorders because people probably had problems before. I think the bigger problem is people teasing them. Especially in schools.

Fiction
September 25th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Well I think that the media can stimulate it because people see the perfect people and they want to look perfect like them. But people wouldn't care about it if they didn't have problems with their confidence before and weren't ashamed of their bodies. I think nobody should be ashamed of how they look because we are all perfect the way we are.
But yes, I think media isn't the main cause of eating disorders because people probably had problems before. I think the bigger problem is people teasing them. Especially in schools.

Thanks Valentine, for your reply! :) Yeah I think that makes a lot of sense and I agree with what you're saying.

Deleted User
September 25th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I already hated myself long before the media came into play. I thought I was ugly as a kid because other people told me I was. And I think wanting to lose weight was a part of it but it wasn't so much a desire for the final result as a punishment for being 'fat' in the first place. I didn't have an end game in mind.

It also wasn't just because I thought I was unattractive. I was depressed, I thought I was stupid for self-harming even though I self-harmed because I thought I was stupid, and I thought I was crazy for being so anxious and having BPD. So next thing was "you're _____ so you're not allowed to eat anymore". After awhile it had nothing to do with weight.

Another part of it was that people kept telling me I didn't LOOK sick so well, maybe I could start 'looking' the part for them.

It was just a huge, illogical cycle of self-hate and self-destruction honestly. I don't think the media had anything to do with it in the end. I don't think people understand that it's an illness and a symptom, not a trend you pick up from the media because you see an unrealistically pretty woman. Most of the people who have eating disorders already have another underlying illness and wanting to be 'pretty' like models has relatively little to do with it at all. Odds are, even if the media is in play, that if you're willing to starve yourself or 'purge' yourself at all for the sake of your looks, you either have MDD or BDD already.

TrampCore
October 7th, 2015, 03:53 PM
The media had nothing to say when I started having problems with eating. It was purely out of my self-doubt and the bad body image I had in my mind. To me, it didn't mater if in the media pictured perfect women as size 22 or 2, I was unhappy with my own body, and even though many people told me I was a healthy weight I didn't believe them and nothing on Earth could change my mind. If the body image I had in my head wasn't perfect then there was nothing left to change my mind but deliberately loose a lot of weight.

I never looked at the high fashion models with a tear rolling down my cheek and thinking that I wasn't good enough for society.

It all started when I wanted to loose some weight and become more healthy, and kept a strict green diet and trying to change my bad eating habits ( No more snacks, sodas, eating after 6 pm, no more eating white bread, drinking lots of water, having a meal schedule and going to the gym). I lost some weight but most importantly I was healthy and energetic. But one day I ate something deep-fried and felt guilty as hell. I was thinking that all my hard work had been wasted, that I'll be eating junk food again. So I started purging. First time it felt kinda bad but hey, I "redempted" myself. Then it was a second, third and fourth time. I started feeling the need to purge after everything I ate, I couldn't eat a lot of food because I was feeling very sick. I started eating only salads, sandwiches and toast. I lost weight and became anemic. Even now, I'm struggling to eat certain foods that aren't just bread or vegetables.

So yea, media didn't have anything to do with my condition whatsoever, it is all in my head.