PDA

View Full Version : I want to cut. Please help

Alison1028
September 23rd, 2015, 04:01 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Abhorrence
September 23rd, 2015, 04:55 AM
Distract yourself. Talk to people, call someone, go out for a walk, eat something, do some homework or general work. Distraction is the key to not cutting, if you just cannot distract the feeling then try and use some alternatives to self-harm which can be found as a sticky on this section.

Doc. Maestro
September 23rd, 2015, 10:26 AM
If you have a phone, make a playlist you really like, go to your room, and just fucking BLAST IT. Just let it flow through you, let the music take over, dance as badly as you can (If you're like me) and just fucking jump around. Music is great for this, it's really distracting and helps you feel good, because it's music. Try get a happy playlist though, try not to give in to the emo side and listen to happier stuff, because it affects your mental state (I know a bit of psychology)

lkc413
September 23rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
Go out with some friends. They don't have to know your situation, just the companionship will go along way!

Just JT
September 23rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
It's been about 12 hours, how are you, doin ok?
Find a thread and post something fun, anything....

Kirina
September 23rd, 2015, 04:28 PM
I've told so many who feels like cutting, that to find a distraction will help. It never did.
The last person I told this to, she opened my eyes.
"You think I haven't tried reading a book, listening to music, be with friends?! I'm at the point where I want to cut into my flesh, it's almost the last resort. Shouldn't it be obvious that I tried other things first?".

At that moment I looked into what cutting actually do. When your injured, you release dopamine and it's addictive. This is why self harmers stick with self harming.
I explained to her what cutting would do and suggested she exercise, because that would do the same (but in a more positive way). I talked to her few months later, she did as I suggested and she didn't feel like cutting anymore (first time I suggested something that worked). However, she was still depressed.

Finding a hobby may give you a new joy in life and can be a distraction to someone that is depressed (once their not distracted they be depressed again), it probably won't help those who have got to the point where they consider self harm. Exercise will stop someone from starting self harm and will be a replacement for those that currently do, but it won't get rid of depression.

What helps is addressing why you are depressed and learn to overcome whatever the issue(s) is. The first step to do that is to talk to someone and it has to be someone that you respect and they have to know what their talking about, so that you listen to what they tell you. If you don't respect them, your not going to believe what their saying will help.

Babs
September 23rd, 2015, 09:22 PM
You just have to beat it with willpower.
Sometimes distractions help. When I was trying to quit cutting, I'd try to focus on something else. Like a movie. Inglourious Basterds is one I like when I need a distraction. The urge does sort of gnaw at you at first but when persistence it will likely calm.
Sometimes doing the opposite helps, which I suppose would be putting lotion on your skin.

Fiction
September 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM
The only way to get through an urge is with willpower unfortunately. Distractions can make it a little easier but they're not a magic cure. You have to really want to not cut.

However like someone above said, a distraction that imitates cutting, such as exercising or taking a hot or cold shower can also help. When I was really bad I used to go out to the fields by my house and just run and run until I felt a little better.

But honestly, the only real answer is will power.

mthnk
October 1st, 2015, 01:59 PM
distractions can only last so long.

have you seen the movie 'theories of everything?' it's the story of stephen hawking. why do you think he wants to live? i think he tries to answer questions not just about himself. he is so focused on doing that i dont think he has much time thinking about hurting himself.

a quote from einstein: 'only a life lived for others is worth living.' living for others is one's choice.