PDA

View Full Version : Online library and english literature

Reise
September 18th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Hi there!
So this year I'm taking a special english course, all the lessons in the beautiful language of Shakespeare.
I'm looking for an online library or anything than could permit me to read books in english for free. I'm also looking for some great english literature, quite sophisticated. 'Got a lot of english books in my school's library but it's only economic and politic stuff and I'd like something else.
I was thinking about "On The Origin Of Species" (Darwin) or "The Great Expectations" (Dickens).
Do you have books to recommend or a way to read english books for free (legally, of course)?

Deleted User
September 22nd, 2015, 08:34 AM
There are a lot of websites that provide older titles for free as copyright no longer applies.

Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) is one resource I've used a few times for English courses, especially when it comes to public domain sources.

It does, however, warn to double-check the copyright laws in your country. While there is no real "pirating" on this website (otherwise I wouldn't post this), laws do vary from country to country. From the website:

Our ebooks may be freely used in the United States because most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries. Readers outside of the United States must check the copyright laws of their countries before downloading or redistributing our ebooks. We also have a number of copyrighted titles, for which the copyright holder has given permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use.

If you're looking for Darwin or Dickens though, you can find them there.

Reise
September 22nd, 2015, 05:24 PM
Black Widow :
Thank you for your link, it will be useful.
I already found some sites providing ebooks, I think a lot of them are still under copyright but hey, 'not my concern.
I started to read A Game Of Thrones : A Song Of Ice And Fire and downloaded Great Expectations as well.

PS : I've finally found an ebook of Wealth Of Nations on the site you linked me. It's been a long time since I started searching for this one in numerical format for free.

Personally I think from the moment the author dies, nobody deserves to be paid for the work.

ImCoolBeans
September 23rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
If you have an iPad or iBooks on an Apple computer/device you can download a lot of classic novels and books for free. You'll be surprised how much free books there actually are on it.

Reise
September 24th, 2015, 08:00 PM
ImCoolBeans : I do have an iPad, but I never found neither Smith nor Dickens works for free on the french ibooks store (at least in the english versions).
There's a lot of different editors and everyone is fixing the price he wants, which is weird because according to the french laws those books should be in the public domain (70 years after the author's death).