PDA

View Full Version : Quitting drinking

Babs
September 9th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Making this thread for accountability and for whatever advice people may have for me.
Last week I made the decision to quit drinking. I've told myself a million times I'm done with alcohol but I'm going to take it more seriously this time. Maybe not forever, but for a long while for sure. I've been booze-free since September 2nd. (Not anymore) I don't know why I didn't do this long ago, since alcohol has never once had a positive effect on my life. So yeah, no good, I'm quitting.

Anyway, let's get down to the point; typing all this kinda makes me wanna vomit. Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? Any advice?

Fiction
September 10th, 2015, 05:13 AM
I've tried to stop drinking so many times, and I plan to try again once I get back to uni. I don't know whether it'll work but the way I plan to go about it is too keep myself busy. Get myself into a routine of early mornings and keep busy throughout the day so that when I get in the evening instead of thinking that I fancy a glass of wine I just think "I need my bed!".

Good luck!

Reise
September 10th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Stay busy is the best way, I think.
I don't have any problem with it but I'm an alcohol lover. It's been 2 months since I didn't drink (except a Jack Daniel's Cola next weekend haha). Since I started my internship.

What is really important is to identify the reason(s) why you are drinking.

Vermilion
September 10th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Making this thread for accountability and for whatever advice people may have for me.
Last week I made the decision to quit drinking. I've told myself a million times I'm done with alcohol but I'm going to take it more seriously this time. Maybe not forever, but for a long while for sure. I've been booze-free since September 2nd. I don't know why I didn't do this long ago, since alcohol has never once had a positive effect on my life. So yeah, no good, I'm quitting.

Anyway, let's get down to the point; typing all this kinda makes me wanna vomit. Has anyone else here been in a similar situation? Any advice?

I gave up on the 25th of July. I do find it hard at times but have to remember what you promised yourself and others ( KeeganW )

Riley2015
September 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Do you feel that you have a problem with drink? I mean surely a few drinks of a weekend when out with your friends is normal and loads of people do it. Or are you drinking like a lot more than that? Or drink when you feel bad?

ImCoolBeans
September 13th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I've stopped drinking for extended periods of time a few times, but never completely stopped for good. I wouldn't exactly say that I had a problem but there was a time where I was drinking alone from time to time just for the sake of getting drunk, or to feel better, which it definitely did not do. My best advice is to remove yourself from situations that could involve drinking, or where you'd have the opportunity to drink. That doesn't mean that down the line you can't go out with family or friends where there are going to be a lot of people drinking, but for now it's probably better for you to be away from that.

Babs
September 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Do you feel that you have a problem with drink? I mean surely a few drinks of a weekend when out with your friends is normal and loads of people do it. Or are you drinking like a lot more than that? Or drink when you feel bad?

My problem is that I have a habit of binge drinking alone. It's definitely not just a coupla beers with my friends on the weekend.

Just JT
September 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Alcoholism is a disease, left untreated can lead to personal injury dismemberment or death.

Sorry to sound sarcastic, but that's a reality we all live with. I think it's good that you recognize there is, or could be a problem here. SeekkiNg. Asking. For help is the hardest part, because you are recognizing that you are powerless over your disease, if you are an alcoholic.
My dad was an alcoholic, he died in a car accident near years morning drunk driving
We were on vacation, he went out with some friends that night. I was informed early new years morning by the police and the hotel owner. I was alone, and it really sucked.
So before you think about breaking your almost 3 week sobriety, think how your own son would feel that New Years morning, alone, with you dead.

Something to live for isn't it?

Not passing judgement, just saying how I see it.

So how many days has it been?
Keep count here so we can all help ok?

Reise
September 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Sista, why are you drinking at the beginning?

I said that I like the taste of alcohol but I'd lie if I say that it's the only reason.
I could write a lot about that, from the simple fact to be drunk to the intense burning of a 40 degrees vodka (yes, buddies think I'm a psychopath when I ask them a 12 shots contest). But we are not talking about me right now.

Alcohol is an addictive substance, so quit it needs a strong mind and external help, even if you are not technically an "alcoholic".
I incredibly reduced my own consumption due to certain things like the damages on the brain (I love my brain more than anything else and I pamper it as much as I can haha) and the way the others may look to you, because they see it's not good for you or just because they don't understand (the way you drink, why you drink etc).

SethfromMI
September 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Last week I made the decision to quit drinking. I've told myself a million times I'm done with alcohol but I'm going to take it more seriously this time. Maybe not forever, but for a long while for sure. I've been booze-free since September 2nd. I don't know why I didn't do this long ago, since alcohol has never once had a positive effect on my life. So yeah, no good, I'm quitting.

Good for you :). tbh, if you do not want professional help, seriously consider going to an AA group. many of them started when they were younger and they would love to help you in your situation. best thing is it is anonymous . Best of luck to you! :)

Babs
October 16th, 2015, 04:43 PM
I was doing a pretty well until around the 4 week mark. I sort of gave up around there. So yeah. I don't really know what to say but for the sake of accountability I guess I ought to fess up to that.

Babs
November 12th, 2015, 06:24 PM
-----

james wolf
December 22nd, 2015, 12:43 PM
How's it going?

tovaris
January 10th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Alcohol is a tricky one, espacely since its all around us. If you are having truble quiting, try asking your GP for any advice on a organized programe. I hear they can do wonders, i know a bar tender who used to be drunk by 10am but is now conpletly cured

azure moonstone
January 10th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Locked, by OP request. :locked: