PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to stop?

City Kid
September 7th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I can't quit self-harming because I don't see any reason to. Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of those of you who've made it and I really, really hope that you can keep going.
But at the moment cutting is the only thing that makes my life seem bearable, even if it only works for a short period of time before I have to do it again. I've tried quitting several times, on my own and with professional help, and it always worked as long as I was feeling okay. I just didn't need it.
But now that I'm constantly feeling like my insides are slowly dying I just can't take it without the cutting. Some rational part of me wants to stop, and I know I'd be able to, but at the moment I just don't have anything that would justify quitting the only thing that keeps me sane when I feel as bad as I do now.
So my question is, what are your reasons to stop?
Please tell me.

Joseph_II
September 7th, 2015, 09:22 AM
The stigma would be the first reason. What will people think when they see your scars? Some would say that shouldn't matter, but it does in the real world. First impressions last.
Secondly, try to get some reason on the matter. Don't think about what cutting does, but about what cutting should do. Should a simple cut on your body make things better? Does it make sense to you when you see it from an outsider's point of view? I doubt it.

P.S.: Pardon my harshness, but I say what I think.

Dalcourt
September 7th, 2015, 09:49 AM
To be honest I haven't found any convincing reasons for myself. I guess that I self-harm for a completely different reason than you do so I guess it's rather difficult to give you my reasons to stop or not anyway.

The only thing that I can say is that even if it is a short term release it is not a solution to the real problem. As you said yourself, it only makes it more bearable for a short time...
Is this short time really worth it?

Desuetude
September 7th, 2015, 10:11 AM
The stigma would be the first reason. What will people think when they see your scars? Some would say that shouldn't matter, but it does in the real world. First impressions last.
It kind of is a shitty thing to say because she's not asking on reasons not to start, but reasons to quit. If you've self harmed then you'll already have scars, I quit about a year ago but I'll probably end up with most of my scars for life. Sure, telling someone that hasn't yet started might help, but in this case its not relevant at all.
______
I know you don't want to hear this but what caused me to quit was getting out of the situation I was in, I felt like I didn't need self harm anymore. I still get the urges when I get stressed/overwhelmed but I haven't given into then yet but I think that's due to cost-benefit. At this point in my life having fresh cuts would be absolute hell because of the activities I'm involved in etc. Saying that, if you're trying to quit maybe put yourself in a position where self harm would get in the way. E.g. force yourself to swim every week, its a lot harder to hide fresh cuts with a costume and I have to wear swim shorts with my costume to hide my thighs because of scars but its definitely a good insentive not to cut, plus you're keeping fit.

Thing about SH though is that you need to quit for yourself. If you don't want to then there's nothing to motivate you to carry on and when you relapse it just makes you feel even more shit. Sometimes self harm is better than the alternative, if its keeping you from falling deeper into a hole then there's some good to it. Long term though, you should always be thinking about alternatives and trying to stop. Finding the right method for you, to keep you motivated and encouraged to contine to refrain from it is definitely the most important thing. For some its quitting with a friend, giving yourself rewards, taking up a sport. There are so many other distractions but finding one that works for you may take a while.

Joseph_II
September 7th, 2015, 10:17 AM
It kind of is a shitty thing to say because she's not asking on reasons not to start, but reasons to quit. If you've self harmed then you'll already have scars, I quit about a year ago but I'll probably end up with most of my scars for life. Sure, telling someone that hasn't yet started might help, but in this case its not relevant at all.

Aye, you're right. I'll just say that it is better to have other see scars than fresh cuts.

Tesserax
September 10th, 2015, 06:25 AM
For others. Friends and family who love you don't want to see you hurting yourself, let alone hurting at all.

For yourself. It's called self-harm and not self-healing for a reason. You're damaging yourself intentionally, intentionally inflicting pain upon yourself, and I know that it feels good, and you probably don't want to stop, but you have to, because it also puts a burden on you, making you feel like shit that you have to cut to get relief.

There are lots of psychological reasons not to, but they're quite complex and I'm going to simply say that you just shouldn't, because the negatives highly outweigh the positives in the end. Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, I'm sort of struggling right now to keep my thoughts intact and I've just had a stressful term at school, but feel free to message me if you have any questions or need any help. Good luck with your ventures, and have a great day :)