PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a book please

Kuroshiro
September 6th, 2015, 08:08 AM
At my college we have this "reading time" in order to improve our vocabulary via reading.

Does anyone know of any books with more complex vocabulary; fiction preferably?

Ratman1234
September 6th, 2015, 09:05 AM
To kill a mockingbird. Although u might have already read it. It's a great book

Kuroshiro
September 8th, 2015, 03:11 PM
To kill a mockingbird. Although u might have already read it. It's a great book

Thanks for suggestion, I have the iBook now and it looks interesting so thanks again.

Babs
September 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I'm five chapters in, and I've learned several new words.

bbwolf26
September 8th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Read The Jungle by Upton Sinclaire.
Or Game of Thrones series will keep you busy all semester.

hockeyboi99
September 9th, 2015, 01:22 AM
This is a pretty basic recommendation, but if you haven't already read them you should definitely look into the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You can't really beat Tolkien.

Some other books worth checking out: The Iliad, The Book Thief, The Giver, War and Peace, Les Miserables, and the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Daniella98
September 9th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Jeremy Clarkson - Round the Bend.
Its fun and great language. Its non tiring car reviews. I laugh a lot and learn a lot.
If the goal is to improve your english, this is a great way to do so

audiophile5
September 9th, 2015, 03:39 AM
The Magus, by John Fowles?
Or maybe The doors of perception by Aldous Huxley?
The Stranger by Albert Camus is also quite different in English - the original French version is written using quite common language and vocabulary (felt kinda like a journal) but when they translated it into English they used all these "complex" phrases and words,so maybe it'll help too

Vlerchan
September 11th, 2015, 02:23 AM
China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station. Inside the first 100 pages alone I must have noted 50 new words.

eric2001
September 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM
The Maze Runner was awesome.

ImCoolBeans
September 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I find Stephen King's books to be entertaining. They also use good language, are very descriptive, and filled with great imagery. The stories can be pretty scary sometimes -- Pet Sematary is horrifying (the movie sucks but the book is good) -- but they'll keep you on the edge of your seat wanting to read more. I'm about to start 11/22/63 by him, it's been on my reading list for a while, I'll let you know if it's a good read.

zack.zack
September 13th, 2015, 11:47 AM
At Swim: Two Boys, Jaime O'Neill -- very good book with very complex language

Primenumber
September 14th, 2015, 12:58 PM
All the light we cannot see - the prose is amazing.
Alice Munro stories are great too, but they are "heavy" at times...

azure moonstone
September 14th, 2015, 02:43 PM
The Maze Runner was awesome.

The books in this series are pretty good, provided you can drag yourself through the first few chapters of the first one. You are literally given no information to start with (and I mean that for many pages), and I had to motivate myself to push through the first 50 pages or so. After that, it's decent. The author literally did not hook me at the beginning of this book, and I thought that was weird.

I find Stephen King's books to be entertaining. They also use good language, are very descriptive, and filled with great imagery. The stories can be pretty scary sometimes -- Pet Sematary is horrifying (the movie sucks but the book is good) -- but they'll keep you on the edge of your seat wanting to read more. I'm about to start 11/22/63 by him, it's been on my reading list for a while, I'll let you know if it's a good read.

Confirming this is a good book, save for one part of over the top ridiculousness :lol: I know it's Stephen King and it's not really supposed to be believable horror/fantasy....but the dystopian picture he paints is just a bit too much. It's definitely worth reading, though.

Speaking of Stephen King, I found the long version of The Stand to be a very good book (I know a lot of people probably say this). It's very descriptive, and for it to be so long I never found it boring at all.

Also, Under the Dome is a good book - if you don't read the last 100 pages. :P

I thought The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer was good too. Political intrigue - if that's your kind of thing. I'm not big on politics, but I did find this enjoyable. Also, The Book of Fate by him is decent. I've meant to read some of his other books, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cadanance00
October 29th, 2015, 04:38 PM
The Girl in the Spider's Web. Last in the series, but with a new author. Lisbeth is older in this one, not as vulnerable or likable I think. and a harder person, but the plot moves along and it's a good story.

Not Matt Damon
November 4th, 2015, 01:37 AM
I'm hooked with The Land of Stories by Chris Colfer. Just downloaded the 4th book yesterday and I almost read half of the book already! So good!!!